Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Jan 10, 2005, 11:40 PM   #11

Right On.. then you should be O.K. I have not tried a SATA drive yet but I hear they are replacing SCSI because they are so fast and inexpensive....

You might just need more memory. In any case I hope you get everything figured out. You PC is an important factor in the world of digital photography.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 7:31 AM   #12

I've eliminated any hardware problems and it seems to be software related like another program trying to open the folder the same time as Windows. Any idea how to track this down? Maybe start uninstalling any software that might open a jpeg file and see what does it? When I hit ctrl-alt-del there are no other applications running.

Thanks
hkrautter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 10:28 AM   #13

Tool: http://www.sysinternals.com/ some good tools here, I used process explorer before to track down what was holding .dll's open.

Myself I keep 2 drives, 1 smaller partitioned with Linux and WinBlows. The other for my data. I tend to keep my images in directory trees such as as /images/2005/01/10Jan/( topic or event )

This dir gets dumped to dvd regularly :lol:I've have too manyHD's turn to toast to trust them.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 5:20 PM   #14

I use a little different method.

I run Windows 2003 Servers and arrays of Ultra 3 SCSI disks. When you start talking about large number of individual files the Windows Direcory and index services can start to slow down.

Here is a free trick, I downloaded from Microsoft the Sharepoint team services web program. I installed SQL Server on one of my computers and created the Sharepoint team services database on that server. Now, when I go do my photoshoots I uplaod the photos hundred in tho the Sharepoint team services photogalleries, which actually store the photos in the SQL database. Much more efficient than storing on disk in flat files and Free (except for SQL) but there are sources for that tooo:-)

I use this system for my customers so that they can view download files from my website with permissions. I can upload from anywhere as long as they have fast internet connection.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 4:32 PM   #15

Good method Minute. The issue I see with that is for people who are not tech savy. Now you are getting into backing up and restoring a SQL DB as well as MS SharePoint. I see how this method would work great for sharing with your customers over the web though.

As far as SATA drives, they are faster than IDE drives and MUCH cheaper than SCSI. I would do as Kalypso said, keep your OS on one physical drive and all of your data (pics, etc) on another physical drive. This shouldn't be an issue since most newer MB's come with two SATA ports built into the board.

--------
Ryan
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 3:32 PM   #16
kex

I save/open my digital images (raw, since I have my D70) to/from a network device.

Only the editing programs are installed at the local hard drive.

Things work pretty fine and fast with AMD 1.6 ghz, 768 MB memory, although the files are opened and saved to the server.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:38 PM   #17

I'm not sure if this is the answer to your question, but this is how I organize my 2nd drive for photos:

At the topmost level, I have afolder called PHOTOS. Under PHOTOS, I have folders for each year (2003, 2004, 2005).

Undera year (for instance, I will use the 2005 folder as an example), each time I download photos from my camera, I create a folder that represents the date I took the pictures. For instance, 1-17-2005 in mm-dd-yyyy format. Sometimes I will add a description to the folder, eg. "1-17-2005 skiing pictures".

The nice thing is I can back up each year's worth of photos separately. Whena year finishes, I make one final backup to one or more DVD-R's. Each DVD can hold 4 gigabytes of photos, which would be over 1000 images in your case. I would suggest keeping your DVD's in a safety deposit box or somewhere away from your house. You don't want a fire or a major theft to take away your irreplaceable photos.

Another option would be to back up your photos to a website sub-directory (FTP site), but that could be very expensive, given photos take up so much disk space.

I don't really do the partitioned drive thing. I haven't heard about people partitioning drives in years. I doubt there's any practical advantage to it.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 12:54 AM   #18

Thanks for the replies, they were a big help and some good advice.

I solved the problem. I started deleting programs that had to do with jpeg files and I found the problem in Adobe PS 7.0. I remember a whilie ago when I upgraded from 512mb Ram to 1024mb I allocated Adobe PS more memory to work with. I don't remember exactly what I did, but that most likely is what compounded my problems. So whatI did was install my pictures and Adobe on the new hard disk and things seem to be working great. It's a whole new world when your pictures load up in a couple of seconds compared to 20-30 seconds.

Thanks
hkrautter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 2:33 PM   #19

I don't know about the full version, but I have Adobe Elements 3.0 and it is the slowest-opening program that I have ever used (and I have used a lot of programs in the last 12 years).

Other than that, I have never had any speed problems retrieving/transfering jpegs on my 1-year old Dell system..
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote