Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:02 PM   #1

Hi! How do you set up your computer to handle your picture directories. I just bought a new SATA 300GB hard disk and I was going to partition it into 3 partitions, one just for my digital pictures and AdobePhotoshop 7.0. I've only worked withjpegs and even then it seems to take a long time to load up the pictures. My computer is runningXP SP2, 2,4GHZ processor, and 1 GB RAM. I can't imagine working with raw pictures. Myjpegs are about 3 MB from a CanonEOS 20D. Also, Adobe doesn't seem to give me an option of where to install it. Someone told me to try to uninstallit first.

What do people do?

Thanks

hkrautter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2005, 5:46 AM   #2

This is probably a question of personal choice rather than anything else but I wouldn't partition the disk. Used as a single large disk gives more flexibility that partitioning it into several smaller disks. That said the disk you have is so large that each of the partions you create will be large enough for most purposes.

What I would do is create a folder structure for my digital photographs so that I always know where to find them. Lot's of sub folders either by dates, events or subjects so that I know where to look for the particular picture i want.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 8:40 PM   #3

I agree I wouldn't partition the disk either. You will get much more flexability with out creating barries for your self. A long time ago.. patitions where requires because windows had size limits on partition size it could read. That is no longer so...

Also, if you have a 20D and eventually want to start doing professional work you will find the value of RAW. I only shoot RAW, full size, and on full manual. I burn my RAW images to DVD and archive as my negative and export to .tiff or .jpg. I have several 200 gig hd but because I do both video and photos find this is not large enough for archiving..
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 9:29 PM   #4
Administrator

Make that one more voteagainst partitioning a drive.

You'd only be creating problems for yourself. This would cause you to use more drive letters, limit yourself on the disk space available within a given partition, make upgrading harder since you'd want to have identical partitions on a new drive for cloningpurposes (since you'd have registry entries for where programs were located), make backing up harder since you'd have to backup multiple partitions, etc.

I wouldn't even think about partitioning a new drive personally.

I used to hate partitioned disks when you had to do it that way. Now, you don't have to do it that way, and I fail to see any benefit from partitioning. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 9:36 PM   #5

Thanks, I've only had it a couple of weeks so I can just format the new drive and get rid of the partitions. I back my pictures up to an external hard drive.

Do you have any problems loading a bunch of raw images? I find that when loading a directory of jpegs I should just sit back while it's loading or the comnputer often loses the picture and seems to reboot the video. I just upgraded my video card to an ATI 9800, but it didn't seem to make much difference. The directories I usually work with are around 50 MB.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 9:41 PM   #6

No I do not have problems loading RAW, I use Sandisk 512 Ultra II and a PCMIA CF card reader very fast. Sometimes I use a USB 2.0 reader but never use that camera to transfer images way too slow..

Old Jan 8, 2005, 9:48 PM   #7

Loading the pictures from the card, I am also using a Sandisk Ultra II 512MB, to the computer is not a problem. I seem to run into some problems when loading a directory of pictures into RAM. It takes longer than I think it should. I was trying to speed things by partitioning the hard drive, but I've decided to take the advice and reformat the partitioned drive. I will use my old drive as a backup.

Thanks
Old Jan 8, 2005, 10:28 PM   #8

Just to be the voice of dissent...

I always create a seperate partition for my main System files (Winblows) & another one for my Scratch Disk files for Photoshop. That way if Winblows crashes, I don't lose everything on the whole drive. I also can keep my scratch disk free of junk & fragmentation.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 11:12 AM   #9

I agree it is better to keep your OS on a seperate partition. I thought you were adding an additional drive. Photshop scratch disk only gives you better performance if on a seperate physical disk. Seperate partitons on the same disk do noting for you other than help organize things better.

If you are having problems reading data off the disk into memory, either your ATA controller is too slow with SATA you should be able to get 133-150 mb transfer unless the drive can't handle the throughput.

Or you may have an IRQ conflict. Make sure Your CD-Roms or other IDE devices are not on the same channal as your disk drives. Also, make sure you video card and disk controller are not sharing an IRQ. This will slow down performance when you try to bot view and copy files at the same time.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 8:19 PM   #10

Thanks for your idea. I couldn't find any conflicts and I had some computer people look at the settings. They didn't see anything wrong.