Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Jan 14, 2005, 8:26 PM   #1

Hi folks! Few times I've tried to get a picture of rays which come from through the trees caused by steet lights during small fog in the night, they are visible by eyes, but not by camera. I've try to close aperture as possible, I've manage to get nice picture of tree and light behind it with the usual steaks around the light which appear when you close aperture but rays are barely visible. Can anyone adivce me how I could make them more visible next time I try to make such picture in night or daytime(when rays come through clouds), maybe I should use some filters(I didn't work with filters before, just order several filters and waiting for their arrival).
PS I'm using Konica Minolta Dimage Z3
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:00 PM   #2

sensovision wrote:
Quote:
Hi folks! Few times I've tried to get a picture of rays which come from through the trees caused by steet lights during small fog in the night, they are visible by eyes, but not by camera. I've try to close aperture as possible, I've manage to get nice picture of tree and light behind it with the usual steaks around the light which appear when you close aperture but rays are barely visible. Can anyone adivce me how I could make them more visible next time I try to make such picture in night or daytime(when rays come through clouds), maybe I should use some filters(I didn't work with filters before, just order several filters and waiting for their arrival).
PS I'm using Konica Minolta Dimage Z3
A polarizing filter will help a lot. I shot this after seeing it through my polarized sunglasses...when I took them off, I couldn't see it any more. I didn't have a filter so I held one lens of my glasses in front of the camera lens & shot.

Old Jan 15, 2005, 3:45 AM   #3

Thanks, Kalypso! I knew there should be some additional tricks except of playing with aperture and exposures Now I'll be waiting for my polarizer to arrive.
BTW you've post really cool looking picture!
Old Jan 15, 2005, 11:25 PM   #4

Thanks! If you are brave enough to look at the 1st image in the "Happy Nude Year" thread in the People Pictures Forum below, you will see I was able to capture light rays coming from a fluted glass shade while indoors. It's not too hard to do, but you have to have a model willing to be perfectly still for several seconds...or a stuffed animal!
Old Jan 16, 2005, 2:50 AM   #5

just look at the photo, you've adviced to me, you've make cool picture, Kalypso! maybe I'll try to do some similar picture with my cat, as for nude models I'm amateur so never actually work with any models except my cat, and I'm sure my girl wouldn't be happy if I would like to work with any Also my favourite fields in photography are nature shots and macros.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 6:33 AM   #6

Kalypso, I've just got my circular polarizer but wasn't able to catch rays of light yet, I've try to do it in my room which was dark and only one ray come from the curtains, but I failed to make it visible, and didn't have the time to make more experiments as sun disappeared in clouds:-\ Can you give me few more tips or tell where I can find some tutor about working with polarizers and how properly use them?
Thanks!

PS you've mentioned that you spot rays with your polarizer glasses, I've try to put lens to my eyes several times looking on the clouds(I suspect that there could occur such effect) but didn't seen anything, so my question is, should these rays be visible through polarizer in order to catch them, or I need to play with aperture and shutter speed to make them visible?
I also have two ND4 filters(just in case they could help me with achieving such effect).