Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Jan 22, 2005, 8:56 PM   #1

I have a Panasonic DMC-FX7, and I want to take some nightime shots of Monster Truck jam, football, etc, from the stands.

What are the best settings to use?
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2005, 9:00 AM   #2
Administrator

I'm not sure you're going to be able to get many acceptable quality photos from the stands at night in a stadium, depending on the viewing/print sizes needed.

Light in a well lit stadium is much lower than it appears to the human eye.

So, shutter speeds will be very slow. Because the lens on your Panasonic loses brightness as more zoom is used, shutter speeds will be even slower trying to zoom in on your subjects, making motion blur even worse.

Unfortunately, from stadium seats, you'll probably want a lot more zoom than a subcompact model is going to provide anyway (but if you do use zoom, shutter speeds will suffer).

Your best bet is to use ISO 400 to try and get shutter speeds as fast as possible. Don't use anymore zoom than you have to (because3 times as much light can reach the sensor through your lens at it's wide angle setting, versus it's full zoom setting).

I'd force the flash off (since it's not going to do any good anyway, and some models try to use shutter speeds that are too fast for the lighting with flash turned on, resulting in underexposed images).

Then, usea product likeNeat Image or Noiseware to reducethe appearance of noise later from shooting at higher ISO speeds.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 1:34 AM   #3

Yup, you are right on all counts...
this is the best I could do at full 3x zoom, flash off.
It forced a longer exposure, and even though the OIS did a decent job on the background (shot was handheld from the stands) it (obviously) could not stop Gravedigger in its tracks. Other than resizing, no changes made to original image.

Attached Images

Old Jan 24, 2005, 1:53 AM   #4

Even Adobe can't help the shot much...
Attached Images

Old Jan 24, 2005, 8:36 AM   #5
Administrator

I should have suggested panning with your subject.

This can help to cancel out blur from subject movement, so that the trucks would have been sharper (with a blurred background instead). This shot also looks slightly overexposed. So, usingExposure Compensation with a -EV setting would have helped, too (and given you faster shutter speeds).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 11:12 AM   #6

It was fun trying a couple settings, but things were happening so fast it was difficult to fiddle with the settings on a new camera. Plus having the overhead lighting glaring down in your face plays a little havoc with exposure. Without the zoom I think it would have been worse as I was getting vertical glare lines from every spotlamp in the overhead banks.

Thanks for the suggestions.