Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Jan 25, 2005, 11:50 AM   #1

Hi Guys,I'm new to the forum having just bought a fuji S7000. I'm using the wide angle lens indoors with the flash and I'm getting what looks like a shadow of the lens in the bottom centre of the picture. Will a lens hood help this?

Thanks

Richie
richieno9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2005, 12:26 PM   #2

Although I am not familiar with your camera, if it has a built-in flash (popup) the shadow is most likely being caused by the lens. A hood will not fix the problem. In fact, quite the opposite, it will make things worse. If the camera has a hot shoe for an external flash, using the external flash will raise the light source high enough that the shadow should be eliminated.

This same problem will occur with any large (physical size) lens attached to the camera.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 2:39 PM   #3

Yeah Cal,That makes sense. I have a hot shoe on it so it looks like i'm off to the shop!

Cheers,

Richie
Old Jan 25, 2005, 5:35 PM   #4

richieno9 wrote:
Quote:
... I'm using the wide angle lens indoors with the flash and I'm getting what looks like a shadow of the lens in the bottom centre of the picture.
If that is an add-on lens that sticks out on the front of the camera, almost for sure you are seeing a shadow caused by the lens.

As Cal said, an external flash should cure that. Though it might not have enough coverage if you are shooting really wide - then all edges and corners will be dark. Check the specs on the flash to make sure it covers the with your lens, i.e., if you have an equiv 22mm with the add-on, you want a flash that covers that angle. It should say in the flash specs. If you are going really wide, you might have trouble finding a flash that will work.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 3:45 AM   #5

Thanks Bill,I'll make sure I get the right one. There is a good camera store near me and I'm sure the guys will understand what I need....well I hope so anyway!:G