Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Feb 8, 2005, 3:17 PM   #1

I'm a newbee to photography (I previously used only point and shoots), and treated myself to a Minolta DiMAGE Z3. I'm been doing a lot of learning and playing and reading books and books on photography. I would like to know if anyone could recommend a book or a website that would explain image editing -- in particular what the difference is when you make changes to a histogram (tone curve)adjusting the red, green and blue levels VERSUS using the color balance controls. I notice when I watch the histograms that when using the tone curves to make changes it actually changes the shape of the curve (bows in or out) while when using color balancing it just moves the one end of the line on the graph. Any help or advice would be appreciated because I'd like to make the most of my pictures!!
Linda Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2005, 7:15 PM   #2

Linda; I recently purchased a book published by Adobe press titled: Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Classroom in a Book. Obviously about Adobe 7.0, but importantly, it has a lesson based tutorial system (and CD)that covers a wide range of topics that are essential in learning to manipulate digital images. I am an old "wet darkroom" guy and I am finding that it is answering most of my questions about "the new media"
Cheers. Erik
Erik Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 8:32 PM   #3

Try: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/

Look under their "Understanding" & "Tutorials" sections...the rest of the site is chock full of useful information too!
Old Feb 12, 2005, 6:40 PM   #4

hi Linda! Sorry I couldn't advice any books about photo editing, but would like to tell about http://www.minoltaphotoworld.com/ they post some basics and tips about photography in general and a bit of photoediting as well, not sure if you aware of this resource so decide to post it here.
BTW I'm also owner of Z3
Good luck!
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 3:10 PM   #5

Sensovision: Thanks for the tip. I've sent in questions to Minolta and have been very disappointed with no response from them on several issues. It seems they were anxious to answer my questions when deciding which camera I should buy, but aren't really interested in helping me after the purchase! :sad:Oh well. I'll check out that Minolta site. Do you use the image editing program that came with your camera?? I'm pleased with it so far. Just one gripe about not being able to remove red eye (I go to another program for that). I've read some of your responses/questions on the forum and noticed that you are from Ukraine. I'm not, but I love to decorate Ukrainian eggs. Another one of my passions. I started my own business selling my eggs, but I have had to put that on hold for several years since I'm homeschooling my children. Once they're all done, I hope to get back into eggs. Then I could use my Z3 for photographic work on the web to advertise. Thanks again for the tip!
Old Feb 15, 2005, 3:11 PM   #6

Erik: Thanks for the title of the book -- I'll see if I can get my hands on a copy of it! Linda