Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Feb 14, 2005, 10:10 PM   #1

Noob looking for yet more advice/instruction.

I like to hike so after reading many post here I got the idea a monopod is probably the best support to bring along. However I have been trying them out (purchased and elcheapo from Wolf) and for the life of me I can't seem to get a good (sharp) shot.

I am sure it has to do with my inexperience. How do you recommend using a monopod?

Thx.
davedeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2005, 10:40 PM   #2

You try to make a stable tripod-like stance; where your body/ two legs form two of the points and the monopod forms the third. I peronally set the monopod leg forward by a couple of feet, bisecting a line formed between my two feet set at shoulder width apart . I hold the camera/ monopod head to my face with my arms held tight to my chest, thus forming a fairly rigid three point structure.

There are other variations on this three point theme where the monopod leg is placed between your two laegs , but behind the center line of your body (with the monopod leg braced against one of your thighs.

Regardless of technique; what you are trying to achive is a three point stance where the monopod is the third point.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 8:51 AM   #3

Ahhh, I see. I think it was the arms against my chest that I was missing. With my arms extended (even slightly) I was still getting too much movement. I will practice some more this week.

Thanks jawz.

DD
davedeal is offline   Reply With Quote