Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Mar 3, 2005, 4:22 AM   #1

Ok, first, here's the scene I am trying to shoot:

top portion is the coverage I'm looking for, bottom is a 1:1 crop from that showing that I don't have NEARLY enough detail. (note that I wasn't zoomed in to 380mm - I would have not had enough coverage area. However I don't need anything in front of the chainlink fence in the "foreground" (about 200 or so feet away) but I don't want to waste exposure on sky so I guess I need to compromise SOMEWHERE...

However, as for coverage area, I could zoom in and get some of the trees on the right out of the frame. But, I really would like a way to get the camera somewhere else (without it being too close to the photographed area) so I can capture some of the scene that's being obstructed by the trees and the fence. Even at full 380mm optical telephoto, however, I'm really not getting enough detail. When I was standing by the fence taking some shots I got some better ones of subjects close by (I'm not posting them though because I don't know that they'd want me putting recognizable shots on here, and they're only for my personal recreational use.)
And, only being able to intervalomate once per minute is really too slow, but I guess I'm stuck with that.
Attached Images

pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2005, 4:28 AM   #2

Ok, now for where I was doing some of the shooting from:

top part is at wide angle taken from right by the front fence of the two (under the arbor with the green foliage) - bottom part is 380mm telephoto showing about where my tripod was. I'd like to be able to get the camera considerably higher (and somewhat horizontally closer to get rid of the tree & fence problems listed above), but alas I don't have a good way unless someone has some non-$$$-heavy suggestions.

Meanwhile I'm STILL searching reviews of other cameras - I'm just having trouble finding something I like (either a cheap P&S with some decent low-light quality and little zoom so I can get that shot that I can't get with my S1 IS cause ppl see the camera and "AUGH! NO!!", or a camcorder + slr + ultrazoom + whatever for the same $$$ as my S1 IS that's each good quality.. guess I'll have to keep looking. )

Where do I find the high ISO test images of all digicams from about 1 megapixel on to today? And, is there any > 7 megapixel, < 28mm wideangle, little zoom (no more than about 54mm), < F/2.0, > ISO 800, semi-compact out there?
Attached Images

pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote