Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Dec 1, 2002, 6:04 PM   #1

Default Connecting A40 to PC

I use a card reader to connect my A40 CF card to my PC and it also allows me to run it off a MAC, which auto detects it without having to install software. I also have just one USB extension cable plugged into my PC and I use it to connect a portable hard disk or the CF card reader to the PC. The connection lead that comes with the camera will plug into the the USB lead aswell so it saves me time messing about at the back.
rimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2003, 2:04 PM   #2

If only they had standardized the device end of the USB cable, I could have one cable. I only run one USB device at a time. However, the cables for my Agfa camera, Fuji camera, Voice-It recorder, my friend's Canon camera, and my HP printer have different connectors, and some have chokes at the device end. As I only have 2 USB connections on my 440LX PC, it may mean I have to invest in a 4-port Hub to have permanent connections.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2003, 2:08 PM   #3

If only they had standardized the device end of the USB cable, I could have one cable. I only run one USB device at a time. However, the cables for my Agfa camera, Fuji camera, Voice-It recorder, my friend's Canon camera, and my HP printer have different connectors, and some have chokes at the device end. As I only have 2 USB connections on my 440LX PC, it may mean I have to invest in a 4-port Hub to have permanent connections. What ever happened to the "daisy-chaining" concept, which was one of the main attractions of the USB? I haven't seen many USB devices that you could plug the next USB device into. I did have to download Microsoft's Windows 98 Second Edition 1394 Storage Supplement for them all to work without the PC hanging on shutdown or reboot after using some of them.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 8:33 PM   #4

Try a laptop USB adaptor device. Very small and allows up to 4 USB connections. http://store.yahoo.com/meritline/usb4porminhu.html This link shows a example of what I am talking about. I can not vouch for this vendor or the Brand of device. I'm sorry, but no brand name is on my adaptor. I believe it was bought at BestBuy.
Hope this helps. Good Luck.
bloex2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2003, 10:53 AM   #5

I did buy one of these. It's an iConcepts model 75052. It is distributed by www.sakar.com here in Canada, and was the least expensive hub I've found so far (it only handles 1.1 devices, not 2.0). It is USB powered unless you connect more than 500 ma worth of devices to it (I have only a total of 102 ma so far). If you have devices with greater power demands (500ma or more), you have to connect the hub to AC power with a 1000ma 5VDC converter. I did learn however, that installing devices on the downstream side of the hub doesn't always work properly. e.g.: I installed my printer that way and the HP printer icon did not appear in Control Panel/Printers. I had to connect the printer to the PC's USB port to have it install correctly, then reconnect the hub and the printer to the hub.