Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Mar 17, 2005, 9:20 AM   #1

Hi all...i am very new to photography and digicam. My first digicam is konica minolta dimage X 50 which i bought a couple of months ago. I have problems shooting at night shots. I use tripod but the problem is that the lights are blurry..especially the buildings and street lightings..I am confused with the setting. Currently i use the night mode, with the exposure +2.0...sometimes auto with exposure +2.0 and ISO 400...still the results are unbearable...

hope someone can help me out. I will post the examples here soon..now charging the battery

many thanks

junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:12 AM   #2

I think your problem is the +2.0 exposure compensation. The automatic exposure system will always lighten a dark or night scene to make it equivalent to 18% gray. This will cause the photo to be too light. Since you have added +2 compensation, you have made the situation significantly worse.

I recommend that you try -1.0 compensation at ISO 100 and see if it looks better. It should make the sky black and should not cause the lights to flare nearly as much.

On the opposite end of the exposure scale, if you are shooting a very bright scene such as bright snow, the auto exposure system will make the photos too dark for the same reason, 18% gray. In this case, you need +1.0 compensation.

BTW, that scene looks very familiar. Is that downtown Portland, Oregon as seen from the east side of the Willamette River?

Good Luck,

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 9:28 PM   #3

thanks for the advice, i will try again tonight..

How about the flash? should I use the flash? when i look at the manual, at night landscape, it's better not to use the flash, however, i think i should because i want to focus on an object, am i right? Also with my camera, if i use the night mode, i can't reduce the ISO, as it will turn to automatic. So which setting should i use?the automatic mode with automatic ISO and -1.0 exp or night mode with just -1.0 exp?

many thanks in advance

It's in Perth, Western Australia by the way...

junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:27 PM   #4

Don't even try to use flash for night shooting. It will do nothing for the photo and will alter the exposure settings. The exception would be if you have a foreground subject. Check your camera manual for how to handle this situation. One of your presets should handle this situation. Personally, I don't like using presets. If you are using a DSLR, you can use negative flash compensation to reduce the power of the flash so that your subject is illuminated but the background also shows. This is probably beyond your current skillset but you will learn how to do it in time.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote