Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Mar 20, 2005, 10:10 PM   #1

Dear experts at Steve's,

I am a newbie to digital cameras. I wanted a digital camera that is as silent as possible.When I take a shot,the whatever camera noiseproducedmust notbe audible to someone sitting next to me, in a silent room. I have a digital camera with3 x zoom and 3.2 times digital zoom.Butafter I disabled the sound effects or volume to zero, there is still , what I think,motor noise from thecamera. I like to find out if this noise can bereduced or disabled. I can forgo the optical zooming if it helps and only use thedigital zoom or even no zoom at all.

Couldanyone advice me on this problem?

kr,

Kyo

Kyo1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2005, 10:53 PM   #2

You didn't say what kind of camera you are using. Is it a point and shoot or DSLR. If it is DSLR, there will be shutter noise and autofocus noise. You can use manual focus but you can't eliminate the shutter noise. With a DSLR, zoom is manual. In a P&S it is usually electric and makes some noise. Don't even think about using digital zoom unless you want really bad pictures.

Now, what and where will you be shooting? If you are trying for stealth and trying to hide the camera, there may be legal issues involved. If you are shooting in a game preserve blind, the small amount of noise shouldn't be a problem. Getting back to stealth, you obviously can't use a flash. This introduces problems with exposure and shutter speed. If it is dark, you can't use hand-held.

Please provide us with more information about your shooting project or assignment.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 7:24 AM   #3

Hi Cal,

I'm using a Kyocera Finecam SL400R.Sorry, I am not very technical about cameras being newbiew. I would say its a point and shoot (not sure)? Everything about it is great except thenoise from the noise generated. Its not loud but can be irritating to others.Anyway to muff it ? It seems that digital zoom cameras can produce zero noise. I have tried it. My Kyocera camera is both optical and digital zoom-able. Not possible to not activate the shutter or autofocus?

So, all optical zooming digital cameras are not noiseless?

I need a silent camera because my roomate gets mad at me for using the camera in the room which I use to take macro views of small objects like flowers.

So, what would be a recommended solution?

regards,

Kyo

Old Mar 21, 2005, 9:14 AM   #4

What kind of sound does your camera make? Many digicams have the option of making a variety of sounds, like the clunk-click of an SLR's mirror slap-shutter release. There might be a setting that allows you to change that.

Read the manual to find out if that is the case.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 9:52 AM   #5

Kyo1010 wrote:
Quote:
I need a silent camera because my roomate gets mad at me for using the camera in the room which I use to take macro views of small objects like flowers.
So, what would be a recommended solution?
Maybe it's time to get a new roommate? :?:
Actually, I was surprised when I first got my Olympus C-755 because of the motor noise for its 10x zoom. I've gotten used to it now, of course.
It may be that your Kyocera has the same issue. In any event, while I've never seen your camera, I doubt if it's possible to make the noise go away so long as you're using the zoom. And focusing will also use the motor, although not as much as going through the entire zoom range. Honestly, your camera is either very noisy, or your roommate is very sensitive.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 8:55 PM   #6

Hello,

Was my understanding correct? That only digital-zooming-cameras won't produce any noise? If so, hope someone can recommend a suitable camera that can take relatively sharp image at close range (20-50cm),about1-2 sec next-shotdelay, need not be color camera, compact, small, has a screen, with SD card slot.

Any pen cameras which can take 200 pictures, with SD-card to transfer pics?

Hopefully someone here has a solution that can help me. Thanks!

Kyo

Old Mar 21, 2005, 11:12 PM   #7

I can't think of anything that fitsALL your criteria. If you're willing to accept a different type of memory card, you may have luck in finding something. Do you intend to print the pics? How big?
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 9:27 AM   #8

Hi there,

Yes, it would be good to print it but not a must for me. Basically, just want a camera that does not produce any noise. Pretty simple wish but seems impossible?

I wonder how James Bond did it silently.

regards,

Kyo

Old Mar 28, 2005, 2:30 AM   #9

I just found a new digital camera that is truely silent when taking shots. Its the Panasonic D-Snap http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...D%20Camcorders

But I don't like the image quality. What is great is its rotating lens and minature. As slim and small as any voice recorder.

Does any body from Steve's know of any other such cameras but have slightly better picture quality? Please let me know.

As a newbie with photography, like to understand what generally affects image sharpness. I need to take close-range shots, not macro though. Is it megapixels / picture setting : 640 x 480 , 1600x1024? etc or lens that determine the sharpness / quality of an image taken with a digital camera?

Awaiting your advice.

Kyo