Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Mar 21, 2005, 9:05 AM   #1

when should one use the sharpening filter and when the unsharp filtre to "sharpen" a picture?
flydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2005, 4:00 AM   #2

Hi, I would say experiment with what both of them do. It, too, depends on the software, and how much it does sharpen it.

To me when I unsharp, it is delicate and sharpens the borders of objects.

When I sharpen only,it sharpens in another way all around, but I get noise or deteorizationon my images the more I sharpen.

Good luck sharpening, flydoc.:G
2lexq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 4:48 AM   #3

The difference is control. Both use the same technique, unsharp masking. With the unsharp mask filter you specify the parameters to use %, radius and threshold. With Sharpen or Sharpen more you use default values set by Adobe. Best advice is to set picture to size you want to use it at and use unsharp mask, experimenting with the values to get the effect you want. I almost always use radius 2 threshold 5 and experiment with the % usually between 80 and 150 but sometimes down to 70 or up to 200.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 7:17 AM   #4

thx..

I use PSP.. I'll give it a go then.. trying both filters...
flydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 1:53 AM   #5

flydoc wrote:
Quote:
thx..

I use PSP.. I'll give it a go then.. trying both filters...
I too use PSP 6.00 and now 9.00, use these settings, you won't be unhappy.

Radius - 0.55% adjust higher lower for effect... (this is the one you move around a lot)

Strength - 150

Clipping - 0

You're welcome...

-tlmiller10
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 6:40 AM   #6

With 3 parameters to control (%, threshhold, and radius), I've never properly understood how to get the right settings.

In addition to Corel Photo-Paint, the poor man's Photoshop,I have a low-cost photo editor, PhotoBrush from Mediachance.

This program has filter dialogs that have both a preview and a Random button. By pressing Random, the preview updates immediately, and I can see what results from the changes in the settings. Haven't done it scientifically yet -- so far, I've just been hitting Random until the preview looks good.

PhotoBrush has a number of digital photgraphy tools, including a kind of sees-all, does-all cleanup that adjusts exposure, color saturation and a bit of sharpening. It also has perspective correction, de-fringeing (chromatic aberration correction), correction for barrel/pincushion distortion, straightening, and several filter simulations (even a polarizer sim). This is in addition to the usual tools -- color balance, gamma, brightness/contrast, etc. etc.

It does NOT have layers, a major drawback. But nothing's perfect.
Dave

DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote