Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Mar 23, 2005, 9:04 AM   #1

I have a personal disaster. My digital camera broke. I have the Sony F707 and I snagged the cord holding the lens cap. This seems to have snapped the screws holding the focusing ring on. Perhaps luckily this is in front of all of the optical and electronic stuff. My local camera store says they will charge $50 to take a look at it. I can also run it down to Adorama.

Then there is this guy on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Supposedly he charges just the $45 to fix the camera, plus parts. And he will give me a parts quote before we do anything. He has some positive feedback, but I am *quite* leery of sending my camera out of the country. *And* more so because his email is a .ru. Has anyone heard of doing something like that?

Then there are two other options. One is I can try to glue the thing back together. They are small pins, so I am not likely going to get enough surface. But, as I said, this is in front of all of the delicate stuff. Finally, I have considered trying to find a broken F707 with the parts in question working. (This should be visible to the naked eye.) Then I can dismantle the broken one and try to bring
the parts over to my camera. I am pretty good with fixing things, but am I asking for a second disaster?

Any thoughts? Commiseration at least?

matts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:20 AM   #2

If the damage is only superficial, you might be able to fix it. However, if part the focus ring mechanism has been damaged, you should probably leave it to a professional.

As for using the services of someone outside the country, I don't think I would do it. Go with a camera repair shop that you can walk into and see what kind of place it is. There are shops that specialize in repairing cameras and nothing else. They are not cheap, but they do good work and they guarantee their work. That is very important.

Get references on shops you are not familiar with. Go into a camera store you trust and ask them to recommend a good, reliable repair shop.

If you happen to live in the Portland, Oregon area (no location in your profile), there is an excellent shop called Advanced Camera Repair. They are expensive but do excellent work. They also sell used, reconditioned equipment.

Good luck.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:30 AM   #3

Commiserations indeed.

Speaking personally, I'd never trust camera repair at any location except one I could drive to, or one that's been in business for many years. The ebay guy says he's in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, but has a .ru email addy? Something's out of whack in that.

The broken bits: are these pins or are they screws? You refer to them both ways. Metal or plastic?

Which way do the pins/screws run? That is, does their axis line up with the axis of the lens, or are they 90 degrees, aimed from the outside of the ring toward the center of the lens?

If they are screws, they have to be driven from somewhere. Where are the heads located?

Dave
DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 1:09 PM   #4

The only "damage" is the pins *and* screws holding the ring on. The pins I assume are for alignment, the screws then hold it on. You are right about the direction. I have not fully looked yet. If the screws come from the "outside", then I can then replace them easily. If they come from the "inside" then I probably have to do the whole lens which is way beyond me. I am actually amazed how much value this camera has held, it seems to go for some $400 or so on EBay. Until now it was in great condition.

Sigh.

I agree with everyone about sending the camera out, I was just hoping I would hear all kind of positive remarks.

matts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 3:55 PM   #5

Sounds a bit suspect to me .. the '.ru'
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 12:03 PM   #6

Is that the URL country code for Russia?
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 5:10 PM   #7
kex

calr wrote:
Quote:
Is that the URL country code for Russia?
yes it is.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 1:48 PM   #8

I have just had exactly the same thing happen to me with my F707.

Looking at the assembly, it appears that the screws are from the inside of the lens assembly and that it would have to be removed completely in order to replace them. They are also very small. The camera will work in autofocus mode without the ring and the filter/lens cap holder (I know because I just completed a shoot in this mode) but of course the risk of damage to the lens front element is much higher.

I have been looking at mine to see if it is possible to glue the ring back on.. but it does not look likely.

Cheers
David
dmowbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 10:29 AM   #9

Hi, people,

I am that guy from eBay andit is a surprise to see people discussing my services.
I see that trusting is one the biggest issues whendealing remotely, anyway there are more repairs done already and please checkthe latest auction and feedback:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...%3AIT&rd=1

Talking about email, that .ru free emailprovider offers almost unlimited mailbox, no restrictions on file size attachments and free pop/smtp, that's why I picked it instead of hotmail or yahoo.
I didn't realize it would be such a big deal, who cares if I live in Canada and have mailbox in another country?
Anyway, to let anybody concerned feel more comfortable, please drop me a line, I am ready to help you with yourcamera repair needs.

Shipping between US and Canada isn't a big deal either if package is declared properly, haven't seen really any issues.

Thanks.
alfatv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 8:55 PM   #10

I also have done the same exact thing. The ring seems to be attached to the camera by the screws that originate from WITHIN the camera. In my case, all of the screws are in good shape...they all hang down if i hold the camera with the lens down. How can i get into this section of the camera to allow me to screw these screws back into this ring? Anyone?

Thanks
thalwil is offline   Reply With Quote