Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:27 PM   #1

Posted this in the kodak folder so I hope no one minds if I post here too. I am a newbie to the site

Just got a kodak 7530. For a five megapixel camera the files are very small. Many photos are 700 kb even when taken at BEST setting. Some are 400kb or less while other photos are 1.5 megabytes. I find this curious. How much compression is there? Why does it vary so much by photo. How does the file size affect the photos when printed. My old 2megapixel Fuji finepix always produced the same size files no matter where the picture was taken, around 750kb. The cx7530 files vary depending on subject and surroundings but some of the files are really small. Can someone explain this to me?

thanks

Ben

dvmben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2005, 6:31 AM   #2

Your file sizescan be up to 1.6mb.

This is assuming your camera is set to best quality andat the highest resolution. The image you take will have a bearing on the file size, the busier the scene with more detail will generate the largest file size. If you take a less busy scene, eg a blank wall or clear sky, then the file size will be smaller.

Also if you have the camera set to take 3:2 ratio pics, this will enable you to print at 6" x 4" with no loss of the image when cropping, but will create a smaller file size.

Generally the larger the file size the better, in terms of printing, you have more detail, but this is not always necessary as the scene may be, as I said, a less busy one.

As you are getting some file sizes of 1.5mb I would not worry at all. It's just the way it is, nothing wrong with your camera.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 7:28 AM   #3

thanks Steve

I am a bit disappointed in the camera though I will take more shots and see. The focus is not that great indoors and the zoom is barely 3x 32=102. I printed up some images on my cheap pixma 1500 and they look pretty good but I still a bit grainy at times.

Appreciate the forum. this is a great place to learn

Ben
dvmben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 8:54 AM   #4

I believe that problem here is more likely caused by digital zoom. Using a digital zoom affects to the file size. Atleast I have noticed that filesize goes down from 1.5MB to 750kB while playing around with digital zoom in mine panasonic fz-20. Digital zoom also might cause that grainy look in to the images.
Comax is offline   Reply With Quote