Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old May 5, 2005, 8:37 AM   #1

I just went to DSLR (rebel XT) and am very happy with the upgrade from point-and-shoot. But ... how do I keep from loosing the lens cap? I was tinking of taping a string to the outside of the cap and tying it onto the shoulder strap. Any better idea?
elinzer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2005, 12:15 PM   #2

elinzer1 wrote:
Quote:
I just went to DSLR (rebel XT) and am very happy with the upgrade from point-and-shoot. But ... how do I keep from loosing the lens cap? I was tinking of taping a string to the outside of the cap and tying it onto the shoulder strap. Any better idea?
There are commercial solutions; the ones I've bought have a self-adhesive disk on one end of a thin cord, with an elastic loop on the other end. You put the self-adhesive disc on the lens cap and place the elastic loop around the lens barrel. There are other similar products out there.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 12:56 PM   #3

Can you provide links for any of them? Thanks
Old May 5, 2005, 1:00 PM   #4

The problem with attaching the lens cap to the strap comes when you want to change lenses. I would not recommend using the "keepers" that are available. There is no good place on a removable lens to attach the string. I normally just place the lens cap in my pocket while I am shooting. Haven't lost one, yet!

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 1:11 PM   #5

Norm in Fujino wrote:
Quote:
There are commercial solutions; the ones I've bought have a self-adhesive disk on one end of a thin cord, with an elastic loop on the other end. You put the self-adhesive disc on the lens cap and place the elastic loop around the lens barrel. There are other similar products out there.
Do they make these for golf clubs?:-)

Actually, I'm with Cal. It's just one of myshooting procedures. I keep my lenscap handy; of course, I've probably just jinxed myself, but so far, I 've never lost one.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 3:25 PM   #6

Iv'e been using the pocket approach; hope it continues to work :G
Old May 5, 2005, 6:13 PM   #7

I put mine in my pocket too. Anything else might just get in the way.

An old pro photog taught me to keep the lens cap off until the end of the day.

You just never know what you might miss because your lens cap is on!

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 8:29 PM   #8

elinzer1 wrote:
Quote:
Can you provide links for any of them? Thanks
Sorry, no, I picked them up at Yodobashi in Tokyo. FWIW, I hardly ever use them. Most of the time I have a lens hood on when carrying the camera, and put the lens cap back on only when storing the camera in the bag at the end of the day. The keeper lines really do get in the way, since the cap is always bobbing around from the end of the lens.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 10:18 PM   #9

I have lost several lens caps over the years, but never my car keys. The keys are heavy enough to sink to the bottom of my pocket while the lens cap is light so seems to sometimes "float" out and escape.

I just decided to keep an extra lens cap in my gadget bag. Keep your eyes open for a cheap lens cap so you have one if/when you need it.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 7:01 PM   #10

Years ago, I got the elastic that goes around the lens and holds the cap. But I hated that.

So I got a nice pieces of black cord, attached it to the camera, where the strap goes, sewed a pieces of velcro at the end of the cord. Then just put a small piece of velcro on all my len caps, it works great! Now I have 3 cameras I just put a cord on each camera. Very simple, when shooting it hangs down out of the way. The cord is 8" long so it will fit my longest tele lens.

Shirley

scurtis is offline   Reply With Quote