Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Jun 22, 2005, 8:42 PM   #1

I'm finding my indoor shots very challenging. While the macro shots are coming out relatively good, the background looks dark still, even though the flash has been enabled. Any tip would be greatly appreciated.

Sample1
Attached Images

Elphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2005, 8:43 PM   #2

sample2 (flower pics are still a challenge for me; they just don't look spectacular).

Attached Images

Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:36 AM   #3

They look like normal shots too me. You could improve the colors by simple editing
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 1:16 PM   #4

Have you done any post processing in Photoshop or anything else? The second picture just needs a littls contrast improvement, a routine task in PS or PSP. In the first shot, the flash is the cause of your problem. When shooting macros, don't use flash. The light is too bright for the subect. This causes the aperture to close down and darkens the background.

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 8:14 PM   #5

Hi,

This picture is too cluttered. The concrete in the background and the extensive greenery confuses the eye. Also this looks like it was shot on a cloudy day which mutes the colors.

Suggestions: Get a sheet of black posterboard and put it behind the subject. Wait of a sunny day. Get closer.

Good luck and keep trying!
pingree35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 9:17 PM   #6

Hello to all,

Thanks for your feedbacks. As far as the first picture go, I tried taking the picture without using the flash but the result is a blurry picture everytime(camera shake icon appears). The thing is, there is plenty of lighting inside the office at my work. I guess this camera or all small compact P&S cameras struggle to take great "natural" looking indoor pictures.

The second picture was taken on a sunny day. That particular flower shot was taken early in the morning.

I took another shot of the same flower, different location, day was very sunny, and yet the result was less than satisfying. I'm becoming a bit frustrated trying to get a crisp, rich detailed picture. I tried different photo effect mode setttings - vivid, neutral, and even turned the effect mode off. FYI, no flash was used since there were plenty of light casting over the flower.

Well, here it is.

Attached Images

Old Jun 24, 2005, 4:28 PM   #7

The only problem I see with this photo is that much of the flower is in shade. Where was the sun with relation to the flower. In other words, was it directly overhead, low in the sky, etc. The shadows in the flower are being cast by the flower, itself. Fill flash might help here but really, I don't think you need to do anything. If you try to eliminate the shadows, you will lose the detail and depth in the flower.

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote