Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Jun 25, 2005, 8:03 AM   #1

I know I should know this stuff after using my camera (300D)for some time but Im getting more confused all the time.

I usually use the AV mode and have got good action shots at F8 at 400 ISO, pushing the ISO up over 400 on overcast days.

Ive been experimenting with the TV shutter speed mode after a bunch of soccer shots I took in low light with AV mode did not come out as planned. Ive also shot birds in fast flight the same way.

What I want to know is if I set my camera in AV will it automatically increase the shutter speed as I up the ISO or change the F stop. Im not having a lot of luck in TV mode and it is really starting to annoy me. Admittedly Ive been forced to shoot in low light in our winter weather so Im wondering what is best, TV or AV mode?
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2005, 5:17 PM   #2

In AV mode ,the shutter will always follow the aperture to give the correct exposure value.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 9:29 PM   #3

Thanks
Old Jun 27, 2005, 1:10 AM   #4

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
Im wondering what is best, TV or AV mode?
Hi,

Well, I'm no expert but, Shutter priority will help you "stop" action or "blur" it at your discretion. Aperture priority will let you play with DOF allowing you to bring foreground/background either into or out of focus. Which is best will depend on the desired outcome. As you noted, having to boost ISO indicates poor lighting. In cars there's the old adage "There's no substitute for cubic inches", in photography it's, "There's no substitute for big glass". Yes, in the Tv and Av modes the shutter or iris will try to compensate for the other's setting however, it is easy to adjust a shutter speed or aperture setting out of the range of proper exposure when using a "kit lens" in a low light situation. Your camera should "warn" you of improper exposure in some way. Unless you have the funds (I don't) to buy a really "fast" (such as a 120-300mm F/2.8 lens, we'll just have to put up with blurry or dark photos on those less than ideal days and do what we can in PS to correct the images. Personally, unless I have special "creative" circumstances, I always shoot in "P" program mode and let the camera set both shutter and aperture for me.

...Ed
PS...I've seen your photos, you seem to be doing something right :!:
edorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 7:33 AM   #5

Thanks, Ive always used AV mode for bird shots (flight) and have got reasonable results but Ive just started experimenting with manual and TV and working out the best shutter speeds seems the way to go with them. It's fun trying when the photos are not important ones.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 3:53 PM   #6

I would shoot soccer at ISO800, shutter speed 1/500th on an overcast day.

I would shoot shutter speed priority and let the aperture fall where it may, as it usually works out okay.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 9:39 PM   #7

Thanks, Ive been experimenting with shutter speeds for a while now and have it worked out.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 3:45 AM   #8

Only one thing I have to add. The only stupid question, is the one you should have asked but were afraid to! In that vein, In this forum there are no stupid questions!!!! LOL They are right you know. Your doing something right. I've really enjoyed you photos.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 5:57 AM   #9

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Only one thing I have to add. The only stupid question, is the one you should have asked but were afraid to! In that vein, In this forum there are no stupid questions!!!! LOL They are right you know. Your doing something right. I've really enjoyed you photos.

Dawg