Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Sep 2, 2005, 8:03 AM   #11

I use the canon 100mm f2.8 macro. it's an awesome lens and i love just messin around with it. there are always new things to photograph.

ya that's funny ouravatars are the same

-michael-
johnsonM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 10:49 AM   #12

rds wrote:
Quote:
I live and work ina part of the country where there are lots and lots of spiders. Just about every day, I find some neat new web in an interesting place. I've tried taking pics of them with my Fuji 5100, and they didn't show up. So I tried photographing against a piece of black cardboard, and still no luck. Any tips? :?

Thanks!
Sometimes help to have the web backlit from an angle. Here is a golden orb weaver I met on a walk two days ago.

Olympus E-300 +ZD 50mm 2.0 macro, 1/250s @ f4.0, ISO 400

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 7:05 AM   #13

rds:

I too have a Fuji S5100. When I came home yesterday, this brand new spider web was on my porch. I waited until the sun was a bit lower and snap several shots. This is the best one. I cropped the picture and adjusted the brightness. Here it is:
Attached Images

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 7:10 AM   #14

Here are the camera settings:

Attached Images

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 9:04 AM   #15

This Japanese golden orb weaver has been building its web beside our porch for the past week or two. It usually grasps the web with all 8 legs, but today we have a typhoon coming, and I noticed how it was holding by only its shorter top legs, and letting its lower legs hang free so that rain drops would drip freely from its body, and not onto the web. Smart thinkin', girl!
(The tiny one up above I assume is a male.)

(Oly e-300 +zd 50-200)

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 4:49 PM   #16

Hi,

I took this spider last weekend in Las Pozas, Xilitla (San Lusi PotisÃ*, México). The specific place if someone knows it is also named "The Gardens of Edward James". Anybody knows what spider this is?

BTW, if you want to know how I took it, 12x full zoom on my Powershot S2 IS. Image stabilisation worked great as it was taken handheld. F/3.5, 1/50s, ISO 50.

schmiedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 11:20 PM   #17

This whole spider web thing has inspired me, so I have gone out looking for a web to shoot. Took me a long while, but then one day I found this "mother of all spiders" outside of my back door. So I had to shoot it. What do you think?
Attached Images

dashboardgyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 11:22 PM   #18

here is the second one
Attached Images

dashboardgyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:43 AM   #19

I am no expert offer specific advice, but I would like share my experience and photos. I attach two photos, one with a dark background (night sky) and the other with a bright background - both posted in this forum sometime back. I did not have to touch the wed (nor sprinkle water or powder), but only had to choose an angle that reflected thesilky lustre of the web strings. Both shots required enormous patience. I own a Panasonic FZ-3 and post my photos regularly in the Panasonic forum, and I have seen quite a few very nice photographs of spider webs in that forum. May be you can check on that.

Attached Images

Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:44 AM   #20

Attached Images

Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote