Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Aug 8, 2005, 11:35 AM   #1

Hi, I'm brand-spanking new to digital photography. I recently switched froma Canon film SLR to a Canon digital SLR because I'm going on vacation and plan on taking lots of pictures. When I was experimenting with my digital SLR though, I got the impression that pictures taken outside were almost exlusively overexposed while pictures taken inside were underexposed. I never had that problem with my film camera, but at the same time, I always made sure I was using the right kind of film. I already tried changing the ISO, but I'm still not happy with the results. The inside underexposure problem I could somewhat fix by adding an external flash, but does anyone have any tips on how to avoid that extreme glare I seem to get from my outdoor pictures (that's where I'll mainly shoot pictures)? I use the pre-settings for close-ups, landscape, etcetera. I appreciate any input.

PS: I'm an amateur photographer whose first language is NOT English, so if there's any way to keep it real simple - that'd be great !
Kraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2005, 2:48 PM   #2

You would do better asking in the Canon SLR forum and specifying exactly which SLR you have.

What you are likely to find are the settings (ISO, saturation, contrast, sharpening, ...) - akin to picking the kind of film - that are likely to work best with those siturations. And also some editing tips - akin to processing and printing film.

I hope you have a fair amount of time before your vacation. It is much better to do the experimenting before you leave.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 3:25 PM   #3

Hey Bill,

Thanks for your reply. After I sent my message, I also found the Canon SLR message board......so, I will post there to see what the problem might be. I have a few more days to experiment, and I will definitely use every minute I have (at least I won't have to pay for film development anymore just to see my mistakes). Appreciate your input :-)

Susie
Kraut is offline   Reply With Quote