Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Aug 21, 2005, 4:38 PM   #1

I supose that here i can ask a guestion like this (my camera is Nikon 8700 mode):

Can you give me a suggestion for parameters as a base for shooting: FOR EXAMPLE:

If you are shooting a portrait person with white backround posible parameteres are: aperture is "THAT", ISO is "THAT", shutter speed is "THAT"

or

if you are shooting the moving target I should pay attention that "THAT" parameters be arround "THAT"

or

For the night shooting pay attention to "THAT"

I ask this guestion because I need something to start with. Maybe it is not possible tell because of the condition during shooting but some approximately thing must be ussual.

Any reply is worth knowing and trying.

thanks

ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2005, 7:17 PM   #2

Big question is right! You are asking for the answers to a whole bunch of questions that cover a big chunk of photography. I'd suggest going to the library and getting a bunch of books - the web is OK, but print does a better job of showing photos.

And when you master that, there are the additional issues that come with processing the image, beit digital or chemical.

Then when you stick your head outside the technical stuff, there is composition and timing to figure out.

One aspect of photography I like is that it is a continual puzzle. A fun puzzle with always something new to figure out. Sometimes I even get a decent image out of it.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 6:32 AM   #3

Set your camera to AUTO and shoot some pictures. Look at the data stored in the picture. Under ordinary lighting the auto feature on most cameras will give you the correct settings for both speed and aperture. Use these settings as a starting point. Switch to APERTURE setting and try small changes. Good luck.
broisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 9:02 AM   #4

ZAKD wrote:
Quote:
I supose that here i can ask a guestion like this (my camera is Nikon 8700 mode):

Can you give me a suggestion for parameters as a base for shooting: FOR EXAMPLE:

If you are shooting a portrait person with white backround posible parameteres are: aperture is "THAT", ISO is "THAT", shutter speed is "THAT"
Quote:
Aperture generally should be wide open, or nearly so. That is; the smallest number. This will give shallow depth of field and help subject stand out against background. ISO usually will be set to lowest number for best detail with lowest noise. shutter speed will be what is necessary for the other settings.

or

if you are shooting the moving target I should pay attention that "THAT" parameters be arround "THAT"
Quote:
Use a fast shutter speed to prevent motion blur, 1/250s or faster if possible. If lighting doesn't permit this, follow the subject with camera, and allow the background to be blurred by the camera motion.

or

For the night shooting pay attention to "THAT"
Quote:
You must almost always use a tripod or other camera support for night shooting because of the long exposure times. Even if using fill flash to light a subject with dark background, you need to have the support, and also have subject hold still during the whole exposure.

I ask this guestion because I need something to start with. Maybe it is not possible tell because of the condition during shooting but some approximately thing must be ussual.
Quote:
This is just very general advice, for a place to start. Very often the program modes on a camera will give good results. One way to learn, is to use the program mode and copy the settings in manual, then adjust something to see what kind of difference you can see. It takes time, and a lot of it, to understand how all the settings interact.

Any reply is worth knowing and trying.
Quote:
Good luck ,
Quote:
brian

thanks

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 8:20 AM   #5

Portrait: lowest ISO setting you have (ISO100??),aperture priority widest aperature you got (F2.8??)

Sports (outdoor sunny): Lowest ISO setting you have, speed priority 1/500

Sports (outdoor overcast) ISO400, speed priority 1/500

Sports (indoor poor lighting) Highest ISO setting you have (ISO1600??), speed priority 1/250

Night Shooting: Use the "night" mode if you have it, else use the highest ISO you have (ISO1600??) and put the camera onthe automatic setting and put your camera on a tripod. You really have to mess around with night shots so theres no golden formula.

-- Terry

PS: These are just guidlines, you got to try it out for yourself and adjust.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote