Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Feb 1, 2003, 2:57 PM   #1

Default Calibrating your PC's monitor display (free)

Several posters on Steve's (and other) forums have talked about how the image they see on the LCD (or EVF) doesn't match what they see on their PC's monitor. I feel that in many cases the problem is the monitor, not the LCD. To be sure your monitor is set up correctly, there is a free trial of a monitor adjustment program available for download from Passmark.
http://www.passmark.com/products/monitortest.htm
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2003, 1:37 PM   #2

Sounds great for PC users. How can I do that on my Imac?
Thanks.
-Ūmae
rmae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2003, 3:40 PM   #3

What OS are you running?In Ten there is digital color meter in the Utilities Folder and you can use color Sync in printing.Look in System Preferences.You won't need third party software.Mine are perfect every time,as long as the pictures are ok.Just set the monitor up in Color Sync and select Color Sync before you print.You can always choose the printer software for color if it has it,but I use Color Sync 99% of the time.Enjoy!

Ray

D490Z,C-5050
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2003, 7:31 PM   #4

Thanks for the info EasyRay.
I'm running OS 10.2.3 (jaguar) on my mac and the pictures look one way in Photoshop (more red) and another way in Preview and on the Web (brigher, not as much red) and another way when they print out (dingy dull looking and greener).
How do I get them all the same?
Thanks.
-Ūmae
rmae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2003, 9:10 PM   #5

I have several programs that display pictures as well on W98SE I find that each program displays slightly differently: some are brighter, some have jaggies, some are just not as sharp. e.g.: I find pictures displayed in my FinePix Viewer are a tiny bit sharper than with Irfanview. Also if I save SmartMedia pics using these programs, the FP Viewer makes sharper copies (at the same file size) than Irfanview.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2003, 9:38 PM   #6

rmae;

Which iMac do you have?CRT display or LCD?Go to System Preferences,Displays,Highlight Resoloution,check both show modes,millions or thousands,and if CRT the Refresh Rate.
Click on Color Tab and highlight your Display.Then click Calibrate.It will guide you through it.When done go to Preferences,Color Scnc Default Profiles.RGB can be your display or anything you choose that you have connected,ie Scanner,Printer or what ever.Try Generic CMYK Profile and Generic Gray Profile.You can play with these to get different results.Finally Click on CMMs Tab.And set to Automatic or Apple CMM.Personally I mostly use Apple CMM.Remember you must calibrate your display first before using Color Sync. You can change these settings in Color Sync any time to get your desired effect using any of the choices under the Default Profiles Tab.

Hope this helps and that I explained it properly
Enjoy!

Ray

D490Z,C-5050
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2003, 1:33 PM   #7

You can also try www.displaymate.com. It's not free though.
Igas is offline   Reply With Quote