Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Feb 3, 2006, 7:03 PM   #11

Don't you mean "situation"? Sorry for correcting, but that stuff always bothers me...
walterd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 9:03 PM   #12

Please relieve me of my puzzlement. What situation were you referring to?

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 1:20 PM   #13

hgernhardtjr wrote:
Quote:
I decided to see if anyone makes such a [gyroscopic] stabilizer today ... indeed, Kenyon does and it looks remarkably like what I made exceptmy surplus gyrohad flat ends (not rounded) and was krinkle-black and somewhat smaller. See it here http://www.ken-lab.com/stabilizers.html
Not exactly cheap though. The Kenyon Universal KS-4 stabilizes 4 pounds (1.8 kg) of payload and is about the smallest you would use with a dSLR and a moderately fast and long telephoto. The kit, which includes the stabilizer itself, battery, charger, case, cabling, and inverter - the stabilizer runs off 115 VAC, 400 Hz - goes for nearly US$2000. You can get the stabilizer alone for about $1500. The cost of the gyro and power supply also keeps it out of reach of casual amateurs and all but the most diehard of enthusiasts.

Nor is it particularly convenient. The KS-4 itself adds another 2.13 pounds (about 1 kg) to the camera-lens assembly and requires that you also carry its battery and inverter along, which also weigh several pounds. The gyro requires about 4 minutes to get up to full speed, so powering this thing up in a hurry when you want to take a quick shot isn't an option. If you use one of these, it changes the feel of your camera so much that you will have to relearn your shooting technique.

In other words, a pro might consider such a system for shooting in caves or wildlife areas where a tripod can't go and is probably quite effective, but would not be practical for only occasional or casual use. And can you imagine the trouble you would have getting a rig like that past the security people into a sports stadium?
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 7:56 AM   #14

Hi Herb!

I don't agree 100%, OK I own a KM Dynax 7D (European model to Maxxum 7D), with "Anti-Shake" feature...look my attached leaves photo...to understand what I mean..."Ultra Sharp" photo.

Maybe you "Shake"...when you take the photo?

My best wishes always,

Cheers,

Alex 007:|
Attached Images

Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 11:28 AM   #15

Hi, Alex,

I don't think we're in disagreement. Even before I thought of attaching this stabilizing weight to a camera, I'd often take pin-sharp shots at 10x zoom with a hand-held Olympus C2100UZ (which has Image Stabilisation) .

Well over 50 years ago) I saw a picture that a friend of mine took, hand held, at some ridiculously long exposure like 1 second - and believe it or not, it came out sharp.

So I guess what matters most is keeping the camera still - and some people have very steady hands indeed. I sense that you're in that lucky category. If they don't, then image stabilisation can help, and extra camera weight can help.

Not only that, but the camera's design & shape can help. I like one that's easy to grip with both hands, and that has a shutter release that encourages you to actuate it using only your finger tip. The shutter release on old Leicas was a beautiful example of this.

But if you want the best possible guarantee of no camera shake, then it's time to buy a really good tripod, eh?

Cheers,

Herb
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 12:59 AM   #16

Dear Herb!

Here is myself, with my solution for "NO" trembled photos, I ask my son to snap me. The only problems, is when needed to take "Vertically" photos...a fiddling bit!:blah:

Cheers,

Attached Images

Old May 29, 2006, 7:32 AM   #17

Alex, which lens is in your picture?
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 10:11 AM   #18

Hi Cope!

From 9 years ago the Minolta 24-85mm, which, I acquired at the most, for my Maxxum film body 9xi. Made in Japan!

Cheers,