Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Oct 5, 2005, 10:12 PM   #1

Can someone tell me how to change the background in this photo to black?I have PS7
Attached Images

gellis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2005, 10:52 PM   #2

Easiest way if you have never done it before is to open the file, create a new fill layer from the layers palette (the half black/half white circle icon) filling it with either a solid color of your choice or a pattern; duplicate the layer that has the bird (drag the first layer onto the new layer icon in the layers palette). Drag that layer to the top of the layer's palette. You could then simply CAREFULLY erase the background from the top layer, which would expose the colored fill layer. Or, if you can use the lasso tool, select the areas you want to erase, being very exacting around the bird and branch, and hit delete to cut through to the fill layer. There are several other ways to do this, including using the "magic wand", but that requires some careful settings.

I didthe attacheda bit different, something I learned a long time ago and which works wonderfully with portraits. I quickly (10 minutes) made two layers of the bird. The bottom layer I darkened, significantly gaussian blurred, and changed the hue to dark purplish. Using the polygonal lasso tool (I just prefer it), I removed the appropriate areas in the top layer ... I did this quickly so do not expect perfection and all the correct feathers to be present!

Kinda quick, down, and dirty procedure but it works and you can see the results. Hope this gets you on the right track.
Attached Images

hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 12:26 AM   #3

Thanks I'll give it a try.
gellis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 6:45 AM   #4

Another way is to use the paths tool. Zoom right in, make a selection, feather a bit and then you can add whatever background you wish. Just remember to watch the differences in lighting and try to keep it real....or totally "surreal"!

More info on how to do this here;

http://www.all-things-photography.co...photoshop.html

Hope this helps,

Nick
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote