Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Oct 18, 2005, 4:32 PM   #1

Hi all
This is a bit off topic but I need to know the best compression program thats best for photos as I have tried the usual winzip...winrar programs.
I tried these and @ 700mb file all I could compress it down to was like 698mb (for example)
Any help would be great in this area that could compress quite a bit more perhaps....Thanks in advance:-):-)
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2005, 5:47 PM   #2

Jpegoptimizer - small, standalone program, very easy to use. Just type Jpegoptimizer into your browser.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 8:13 PM   #3

wagaboo wrote:
Quote:
...best compression program that's best for photos...
Assuming you are working with a compressed format of the photo (JPEG, lossless TIFF compression, ... ), you are not going to further reduce the file size by running it through another lossless compression program. It is even possible for the size to increase a bit if you do that.

That means to decrease the file size, you have to throw away part of the photo.It can be cropping and/or cut down the acuracy of the JPEG compression.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 9:17 PM   #4

Thanks all for the fast replies and will try jegoptimzer....I did notice that the file size increased even after compressing....ARGH
Thanks again:-)
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 10:57 AM   #5

deleted
pip22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 10:58 AM   #6

You need to be aware that starting of with an image that's already a JPEG (eg straight from the camera) some pixel information has already been lost in order to compress the image and make the file smaller. If you then open it in an image program and save it again as a JPEG, this will further degrade the image regardless of what filesize you end up with. For web use this will not matter much, but for printing it's an absolute no-no! If you intend to print out your jpeg images from the camera, they should NEVER be re-saved in jpeg format. If editing is required, work on a copy and, if you want to save the edits, save the copy as a TIFF file and print from that.Save your original JPEGs from the camera on a CD so they can't be accidentally deleted, overwritten orre-compressed.
pip22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 2:06 PM   #7
Administrator

For those of you that are not aware of it, Mike Chaneywrites a monthly article that you can find under the Tech Corner menu choiceon this site's main page.

The October 2004 article was titled JPEG Images: Counting Your Losses

Mike included samples of what happens (and doesn't happen) to JPEG images that have been resaved at different quality levels, and discusses file types and image compression.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote