Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Nov 23, 2005, 3:04 AM   #1

I would like to know how to create black & white photos that have a little bit of colour in them? For example a picture of a child in black and white whilst holding a toy that is in colour.

Thank you

Nicholas
moree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2005, 5:50 AM   #2

There are many ways to do this using Photoshop. If you use another application you could adapt the methods to suit, so long as you have the use of layers.

The only real way to do it without using layers is to use the history brush and you have to be precise.

It can be done , again with layers, by converting to B&W, then using the eraser to 'rub out' the b&w. But as with the history brush you need to be precise.

By far the best and easiest way though, is to use a layer mask.

Open your image, duplicate the background layer and convert to black and white using your preferred method.

With the newly converted layer active, click on the icon at the bottom of the layers palette called 'Add Layer Mask'.

Ensure the foreground and background swatch in the toolbar is set to the default black and white, take a suitable sized paint brush and 'paint' with black on the areas that you wish to revert to colour.

The beauty of using a mask is that if you go over onto a part that you don't want to be colour again, just switch the foreground/background colours by pressing X on the keyboard and 'paint' with white. This will bring back the b&w, pressing X again to continue revealing colour where necessary.

Zoom in close and change the brush size where necessary for tight corners etc.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 6:40 AM   #3

Whilst I have not done it yet, thank you so very much for the instruction on how to do it. Now all I need to do is practice.

Thank you,

Nicholas

moree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 6:54 AM   #4

moree wrote:
Quote:
Now all I need to do is practice.
You're welcome Nicholas.

And what you say above is the best advice for anyone !! We all make mistakes when learning something new, (sometimes still do :roll, but practice, practice, practice and you will get there !!
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote