Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Dec 4, 2005, 10:38 PM   #1

Hi, I've got am Olympus C4000Z and a Nikon Coolpix L1 and I can't get either camera to take sharp focused pics at night, ie, Xmas lights.....help, please....Johnny
Attached Images

marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2005, 7:30 AM   #2
E.T

Do you use tripod?
If not, then focusing is smallest of your problems because with longer shutter times handshake blurs photos.
Rule of thumb for longest/slowest shake free shutter time is 1 s divided by 35mm equivalent focal length you use.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:04 AM   #3

You must use a tripod, put the camera in Night Scenery Mode or slow the shutter speed to 2 or 3 seconds if neither of the camerashas night scenary modes, also you can try with EV values, use positive values (+1or more) or the auto-bracket mode.
gucascante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:03 PM   #4

Try this.

Set the camera to it infinity focus. Aperture priority, and use the smallest opening available. Put it on a tripod, and let the camera set shutter speed.

NOW, use the self timer also, so their is no possibility of camera shake, and try that.

Let us know how it turns out.
Brian Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 6:19 PM   #5

Hi, no I didn't use a tripod, great idea, thanks!!!!
Old Dec 6, 2005, 6:21 PM   #6

ok thanks, I didn't use a tripod and I think the Olympus has a night scene mode...I'v never ben a manual reader, thanks for the incite...Johnny
Old Dec 6, 2005, 6:24 PM   #7

I will try a tripod, don't think either camera has an infinity focus, but the Olympus has a night scene and maybe an aperture priority, thanks for the help, I know, 'read the manual'...lol
Old Dec 6, 2005, 9:46 PM   #8

the Nikon did have a mode menu and I selected night landscape to focus lens to infinity, got better results, although the snowman was blowing around in the wind and after I took the pic, the camera informed me, even though I used a tripod, that the pic was blurry, did I want to keep it? I did, but still had to sharpen it a lot...here's what I ended up with....
Attached Images

Old Dec 19, 2005, 7:56 PM   #9

Hi Johnny, I took this photo usinf Panasonic FZ10 camera with tripod, f5.6 and time 6sec.
Attached Images

kostka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:38 AM   #10

Johnny,

Your second shot is definitely an improvement. Unfortunately, with those big plastic santas, you'll need to find a time when the wind is calm or you're likely to get the "shakey" results, so to speak.

One thing I didn't see in your posts was whether or not you used some type of remote or delayed triggering on your shots. It's very possible that the mere action of pressing the shutter button can shake your setup enough to cause the "blur". One way to avoid that is to use a remote controlor a cable shutter release. Another way, which doesn't require either of those devices, is to use a timed shutter release. Most cameras allow you to change a setting to add a delay between the time you press the shutter and the time it actually triggers, that way (for example) you can take a group photo and still get in the picture yourself.

If you didn't use either of those options, I'd look into it. It may help you to get a little sharper results.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote