Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Mar 2, 2003, 1:45 PM   #1

Default Color problem when copying to CD

Am using a Minolta S404 that is producing very exact color. My problem is when I save the images to a CD the colors seem to be affected. Most colors are good except the color blue. It seems to turn more purplish. Am I having a software or hardware problem.
Some folks say color should not be affected when copying but mine sure is. thanks in advance.
glennj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2003, 9:13 PM   #2
NHL

Are you using DIVU to 'view' the copies, since the s404 do not put out a normalized sRGB color output?

Did you copy the pictures files directly from the flash cards or have you saved them from DIVU... and then copied the resulting files?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2003, 2:03 PM   #3

NHL, I am initially viewing the pics on DIVU. Then copying them from DIVU to my hard drive and from there to CD. The pics look great on DIVU and pics also look good when printed directly from the compactflash card. Should I be saving the pics directly from the flash card and not from DIVU. DIVU makes it easy to copy large numbers of exposures and also easy to rename and renumber the pics.
Old Mar 3, 2003, 4:55 PM   #4

It might seem obvious, but have you checked the file sizes of the copies and are they exactly the same?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2003, 5:14 PM   #5
NHL

Quote:
I am initially viewing the pics on DIVU. Then copying them from DIVU to my hard drive and from there to CD. The pics look great on DIVU and pics also look good when printed directly from the compactflash card. Should I be saving the pics directly from the flash card and not from DIVU. DIVU makes it easy to copy large numbers of exposures and also easy to rename and renumber the pics.
There's your problem... make sure to uncheck the convert box in DIVU (I'm not @ my home PC right now to remember exactly which button...). DIVU will convert the non-standard s404 output to sRGB colorspace, hence the more colorful pictures when you saved with DIVU!
When you save pictures directly from the card, the pictures (like the D7) are mapped to a wider space (similar to but not AdobeRGB) hence look duller than after the sRGB conversion (ie non-standard -> sRGB) that all PC used. I would always backup the original pictures first before DIVU... that way you can always go back since the files output from DIVU are always truncated and smaller in size!
Old Mar 3, 2003, 9:39 PM   #6

NHL, thanks a million. I'm not very technically with it and not sure what SRGB is but I now understand there is something that DIVU is doing to the file. Now I need to find the 'convert box' to uncheck.
Are you saying that if I uncheck the convert box my pics will be saved in their original format? Like I said DIVU really makes saving pics easy. Also when I save a batch what compression do you recomment I select. Right now I believe I leave the compression at the default level which is a low compression. Again I don't understand the implications of compression.

For Voxmagna, thanks also for your input. I believe the compression issue does change the file size, but not sure.
Old Mar 3, 2003, 9:44 PM   #7

NHL, I just checked and when I open a pic in DIVU there is a box that is checked that indicates 'color matching on' and the selected color space indicated is sRGB. Is this the box I should uncheck??
Again thanks a million for your help.
Old Mar 4, 2003, 4:31 PM   #8
NHL

That's correct just uncheck it:

The s404 like some other Minolta cameras record the picture in a wider colour space than the PC only sRGB monitors. This is all to good intention since printers again have a different colour space, and would avoid some clipping @ the limits during conversion. However it get a lot of people, unfamiliard with the workflow, confused instead. Newer Minoltas now just go with the flow and make the slight tradeoff to map the output pictures to the standard sRGB space... (some cameras like the D7hi can still map the pictures to a wider AdobeRGB colour space).

If you don't convert, the pictures will look somewhat dull on an sRGB monitor and that's why you're seeing the difference (ie converted vs unconverted) :? :? :?
Old Mar 4, 2003, 6:06 PM   #9

NHL : Once again, thanks very much. Your help is really appreciated. Now I'll go change the settings and eliminate the problem. glenn
Old Mar 7, 2003, 6:47 AM   #10

NHL, just wanted to report I copied a new CD with the block unchecked and it certainly looks different. I'll get a print or two made today for final check. I agree that the very best is to bypass DIVU altogether and save directly from the flash card. My question is what software do you use to open the card to save. I am using a flash card reader via usb and not connecting the camera directly so I need some intermediate software to open the card to save it. My choices are DIVU, a really low version of ADOBE, MS Picture it, or the ARCHsoft package that came with the camera. How do you save the images directly from the card. Once again. Thanks. glenn