Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:51 AM   #1

This may have been covered before (but a search revealed nothing), but I thought I would add this tip on taking macros. It works well for me.

When taking macro pictures, even with a tripod, I sometimes find that my pictures are a little blurred. I put this down to micro movements of the camera caused by my finger pressing down on the shutter. So, to counter it, I always take macro pictures using the timer function. I set the time to 2 seconds, press the shutter, and wait.

As my hand is nowhere near the camera, there are no micro movements, and the pictures some out crisp every time.

Another tip which is especially effective when taking macro pictures of reflective objects with the flash. If your camera has no way to reduce the flash intensity, you can diffuse the light from the flash by sticking a piece of white tissue paper (or grease proof paper) over the flash bulb. You may need two or more layers of paper for it to work, but it does work well.

Regards,

Jonny
Jonny Megapixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2006, 5:08 PM   #2

When taking macros, I always use a tripod and a shutter release cable. When possible I also use mirror lockup. It does make a difference.
rrdjserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 3:37 PM   #3

Little poser. I did not have a macro lens or a reversed fitting lens. Anybody know how I did it.:?
Attached Images

geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 9:01 PM   #4

Well, I don't!!!

geriatric wrote:
Quote:
Little poser. I did not have a macro lens or a reversed fitting lens. Anybody know how I did it.:?
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 8:27 PM   #5

geriatric, did you photograph an existing print?

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 10:05 AM   #6

granthagen wrote:
Quote:
geriatric, did you photograph an existing print?

Grant
No, this idea came from a certain Mike Ash in the U.S. He made a macro lens out of nothing more than a cardboard tube coreof a toilet roll and the front element of a lens assembly. The tube can be made to suit the diameter of your lens on your camera. I used the front element of a 50mm lens. The adhesive to use is of the rubbery type. the length of the tube is about an inch to slide freely on your camera lens. set the camera to macro or super macro whatever you have . slide the your lens assembly on and move up or down too focus. The onboard flash is not too good as the light is blocked by the assembly. I used an external flash. Remember too work clean, with this type of adhesive it can be removed off of the lens element if accidents happen
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 9:53 PM   #7

A handy and cheap diffuser for onboard flash is a translucent film canister, which can be cut to size with an exacto knife to fit your camera. :|

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote