Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Mar 19, 2003, 5:07 PM   #1

Default dark pictures - how come?

Hi!

I got the Kodak DX4330.

I didnīt have a camera with an optical zoom before (this is my second cam - my first one was a HP C200) - so I donīt know if this is the problem - maybe you know?!

I took some pictures at our last soccer session - some are nice - some are black. As mentioned before I guess that the dark pictures are taken using the opt. zoom. Can you confirm that - or is anything other my problem??

If it is the zoom - why are this pics dark?? Anything I could do about that?

Thank you!
Bigsexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2003, 5:56 PM   #2

Big room, big zoom, tiny little flash!

The built-in flash of most cameras is only good up to about 10 feet. If you want to take shots in gyms, either get real close to the action or get a much bigger flashgun.

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2003, 10:33 PM   #3

This shows the fall-off of the flash as fenlander said. A larger flash would help some, but that effect will always show. If parts of the subject are very much futher away - they will get less light. Since the flash isn't a point source, it isn't exactly an inverse square fall-off.

The basic solution is to make sure that everything you want lit is about the same distance from the camera.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2003, 9:04 AM   #4

External flashes allow you to 'focus' the flash head to compensate for some zoom and get a bit more distance - but not full zoom of digicams 100ft away!

If you can tolerate some action blur, try manual slower shutter wider aperture to get the most available light into the cam in flash mode, Indoors, you will run into white bal probs though.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 12:37 PM   #5

What has been said is basically the problem - tiny flash - too distant. Having a DX4330 myself for a few months now, I will suggest you try the night mode setting. This mode fires the flash but leaves the shutter open longer to capture more of the background. Works wonders if the background is still and you have good hold of the camera or a tripod. Another way to reduce this problem is not to use the flash at all but it only works with a tripod, still subjects and enough light.

If you can tolerate a slightly blurred background it will work for you.

As an alternative, a "real" and powerful flash will help too, but it needs the capability to work as a slave, so that it will trigger simultaneously with the camera. I took one with impressive results given that virtually no planning went into the shot and I was using medium resolution. The shot involved a fountain in the foreground surrounded with poinsettia plants and a building in the background illuminated with Christmas decorations and the sodium street lighting. Awesome results. It cen be seen here: http://www.juanadiaz.org/plaza2002/ and the picture I am talking about is the very last of the slide show. I am not a photographer, by the way, and the slave flash is not mine either.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 3:46 PM   #6

Thank you guys!

Nice tips - buying a bigger flash is out of my budget and I donīt know how to use it /w my DX4330 - but Iīll try all your other tips next time! Thanks!!

Last week I took some pics outdoors & indoors (in a smaller room ) ... and for the first time ordered prints of the pictures online - I was really amazed of the nice quality - well not perfect but for a digicam that costed 300 bucks itīs a good job, I think!

Once again thank you for your help - this forums are great!
Bigsexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 4:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsexy
I donīt know how to use it /w my DX4330
That's why I said that the flash must be able to work as slave. It has a photocell that triggers it whenever another flash shoots. The problem is that such a flash may cost a bit less than the camera itself. In fact, I mentioned that the one I used was not mine. I am not into that kind of expense either.
Old Mar 30, 2003, 5:32 PM   #8

luisr--- Hey, I like that slide show with fade transition, really cool!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 8:37 PM   #9

Thanks! Credit must go to my web host (or rather my ex-host) who offers a cool add-on script to do that kind of slide show. I "stole" it and adapted the style for my own use.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 5:49 AM   #10

What I do when my flash or night-shot setting does not do the job
is correcting the photo on the computer.
I use mostly Thumbsplus and if I adjust the GAMMA setting, LOTS
of dark details suddenly become visible!
proton is offline   Reply With Quote