Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Dec 1, 2003, 10:41 AM   #11

Default Scratches

Thanks, Luis. I've been wondering what to do with the two deep scratches on my A70 lcd that happened on a recent 4x4 trip to the backcountry of Monument Valley (I had a Nikon F3 and my A70 dangling from my neck). Canon was of little help, only offering to replace the plastic cover. So I figured, what the hell, I'll give it a go and if I have to have it replaced, so be it. I first tried Brasso on the edges of the screen and found it too abrasive, then I tried MAAS, a metal polish I found at Home Depot. It worked better, but left a filmy, finely scratched surface. I emptied my cupboard and found some Wright's Silver Polish, which surprisingly (and after long hours of steady rubbing), removed the fine scratches. I can see some very faint lines where the two scratches were, but it's 99% better than before. I think Luis was correct, the anti-glare coating is under the plastic, but whatever you do, try this along the edges of your screen before you jump into the center part. Good luck.
arizonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2003, 6:12 AM   #12

I've used cement powder to clean my plastic specs - the lenses come out like new! Jewellers rouge used for cleaning plastic watch crystals was very fine pumice from volcanos if I remember right, CIF lemon cleaner for Acrylic baths works fine as well.

Just keep ANY solvent away from lcd's, if it's chloro/ammonia based or the ozone layer unfriendly sort and leaches through the edge seal, it will go permanently BLACK! VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2003, 9:22 AM   #13

Go here and get one of these babies after you get your screen fixed. Best investment you can make for that digital camera.

http://www.daproducts.com/
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2004, 12:44 PM   #14

Hi there

You can use also toothpaste. I used to polish big surfaces like gramophone covers. First is uglly but you have to be patient and to change cotton swabs often. Than continue with alcohol until finished.

Best regards.

Vlatko
vlatkoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 8:39 AM   #15

http://hardwarecentral.dealtime.com/...mera_Camcorder

[/img]
chiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 2:34 PM   #16

Hats off to you, Chiks. Staples isn't far down the road from me, and a trip there is now on my to-do list.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2004, 6:12 PM   #17

just saw some new stuff on tv for your glasses that removes scratches, dont now if it works on screens with anti reflective stuff though :?
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 12:48 AM   #18

Palm Pilot overlays work also, just cut to fit and you can get a pack (10) for a couple of bucks. Any office supply store.

Kayd
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 7:30 AM   #19

Kayd, I hope your avatar isn't a reflection of how you feel about yourself!
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 9:07 PM   #20

Hi,

Have you been using this "Fellowes" protection on the LCD of your camera? Could you tell me how it is placed and if you did or did not encounter any problem with these protectors?

Regards
edversyp is offline   Reply With Quote