Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Mar 8, 2006, 3:30 AM   #1

Have been looking at Franks Modelling and Portrait images, if Frank is reading this could you please tell me how you change the background colour and anyone else for that matter.

Thanks in advance

Rob (UK)
Rob Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2006, 8:42 PM   #2

Might try posting in the People section that's where Frank does most of his Post and I am sure he will see it there.
Geminichild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 8:56 AM   #3

Rob, most of the time I think Frank is changing the background color with gels if he isn't using a different color of seamless paper. I have a link to some gel testing I did a while back using both white and black seamless so you can see the differences.
Here is the link:

http://home.insight.rr.com/alienbeegels/

Thanks,
Matt

Rob Beard wrote:
Quote:
Have been looking at Franks Modelling and Portrait images, if Frank is reading this could you please tell me how you change the background colour and anyone else for that matter.

Thanks in advance

Rob (UK)
mlydy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:56 AM   #4

Hi,
Most of the time I just change paper, I have a backdrop holder for 10 colors and it's full :-)

Sometimes I will use a blackbackdrop and gels but 90% of the time it's just seamless paper.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:32 PM   #5

Thanks for the information and helpful hints, but I do not possess that sought of equipment. I know that proffessional people like yourselves use this sought of equipment, but I was wondering if I couldshoot aface/figure in front of say, a white cotton sheet or black sheet, and then change the colour in Elements 3 which might not look to false, any ideas.

Thanks

Rob:-)
Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:58 PM   #6

Hi,

Yes you could try to shoot like that and then with PSD or such kind of software change the background color but...

for some shoots you will manage to do replacing and for some it would be very hard specially if you shoot close faces where you have lot of hair....how much time you have??????

I think you better do photos with white or black background (or if the strong colors are something "must be" you better find the way toobtain some colored clothes to put behind instead of paper or so.......)

Such photos with black or white backgroundare also very good but for some you may do replacing...... and loose lot of time.......

Zak
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 3:06 AM   #7

Changing colors in PS hardly ever look 100% convincing.

You can better go to the market and buy funky colors, it's very cheap most of the times.
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 4:48 AM   #8

Cheers Frank

I think I must be thick:?, I never thought of that and it is the simplist way, cheers Frank, I'll get me coat.

Rob
Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:04 AM   #9

If you use a solid white background, then you can find digital backgrounds on the internet, and then use the find edges feature in photoshop to extract the person from the background. And merge him/her into the digital background.

-Travis Swentosky-
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 10:39 AM   #10

Frank - how do you keep the rolls of paper tight? Mine will actually start unrolling by themselves once the weight of the paper below hits a certain point. It's actually a real pain in the *&^. Then when I go to roll them back up when I'm done I can never get a nice even tight roll. It's like a scene from a movie - me wrestling with my rolls of seamless paper! :evil:
24Peter is offline   Reply With Quote