Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Apr 4, 2003, 5:58 PM   #1

Default Shooting Night Photography

Looking for some assistance on how to improve taking sports photographs at night or under low light situations.

Most of the photos are during times that I am unable to use a flash and am in poor lighting.

Any suggestion on techniques, lenses, etc.

Thanks
rlcross2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2003, 2:52 PM   #2

Dont know what camera your'e using. But if your flash isn't powerfull enough and the available light too little, you should crank up the iso setting on you camera. You could also experiment on using a fast lens i.e f.2.8 .
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2003, 5:04 PM   #3

Why not reducing shutter speed? Go get yourself a tripod (is a must for slow shutter speed shots) and set your camera to slow shutter speed. btw what camera do you use?
ulik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2003, 7:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Why not reducing shutter speed
I think he said 'sports shots' so that means action, fast shutter!

Upping film speed (with risk of increased noise) has been said. Some of the lighting at smaller events is tricky. Some use sodium SOX and I wouldn't expect ccds to have much sensitivity at the orange end.

Do you guys remember flash bulbs? You know, those glass things full of magnesium? I once had some called PF10 I think. They were monsters. If you looked at one of those when it fired you couldn't see for half an hour. Does anybody still use them? need 'M' shutter sync from what I remember.

Can you get the camera close enough to use external flash or a remote slave flash? Trying to use zoom at a distance and light from the camera is a big problem.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2003, 11:01 PM   #5

[quote author=voxmagna]I think he said 'sports shots' so that means action, fast shutter![/quote]

My bad.. Just didn't see the word "sports"..
ulik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2003, 9:51 AM   #6

rlcross2,
I'm afraid fast action sports, low light and lack of flash capabilities will not make sharp shots no matter what equipment your using. I would suggest you max both ISO and aperture (as previously mentioned). Also make sure you use a tripod (or at least monopod) to keep the backgrounds crisp. But most important, time your shots when action is minimal or stopped (these too can make great shots if timed right - that brief pause after a gymnastics dismount is a good example). Don't expect that your going to be able to catch a perfectly clear shot of fast action - you will need a lot of light for that. Having the action coming straight toward you can help, but it still problably isn't going to be as crisp as you'd like. Under the right conditions a lot of action can make for some great slow shutter shots (tripod necessary), although these might not be the look your after, say, if your shooting for the sports section of your local paper.
Regards,
Roy
R_Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote