Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Apr 24, 2006, 8:41 PM   #1

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question or if it's even permissable. If not, moderators may remove it....

I have been asked by a professional mural paint artist to photograph some of their work to use for print. I haven't got all the details yet but I'm sure there's some travel involved. I'm not a pro photographer but this artist has seen some of my work to do with panoramic murals and asked me if I'd be interested in doing some photography for them. I'm absolutely clueless about what to charge for something like this.

I'd sure appreciate some input on approximately what to charge and anything else I should know about doing a job like this. Thanks a bunch...I look forward to all replies! :-)

~~StitchBabe~~
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2006, 11:31 PM   #2

I'm probably the worst person to reply to this one, because I always underestimate the amount of time I'll put in, and undervalue my services. I usually find out, after the fact, that the client would have been happy if I had billed triple my fee. Guess that's why I'm broke most of the time, huh? If I had to rely on photography to eat, I'd be a lot thinner.

I guess what I am saying is - "Don't undervalue yourself." If someone has approached you for the service, he is impressed with your work. Charge accordingly. And nail down how expenses get paid before the fact, as well.

brian. (who can't seem to take his own advice)
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:53 AM   #3

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply. I know exactly what you mean by 'undercharging'. I also do machine embroidery, quilting, crochet, etc., (thus the name StitchBabe)and I always end up not charging enough...hardly seems worth it at times. I'm really going to have to think this one through. I really do appreciate your advice..thanks a bunch!!! :G

~~StitchBabe~~
Old Apr 27, 2006, 9:10 PM   #4

pricing isvery difficult, I'vedone a few weddings, senior and family portraits, and sports photos. What I have done isto research some of the local pros websites and brochures, mosthave prices listed,ifthere is a commercial photographer in your area that doesarchitecture orsomething like that would probably fit into what you are doing. It doesn't hurt to ask the pros what they would charge for doing something like you're going to do,just don't tell them you will be their competitor. Then you can price yourselfunder what the pros charge but still a fair price for you. Prices vary quite a bit depending on the area you are in. I know around here for instance aboutthe cheapest wedding package from a pro is around $800, so I can charge $500 to $600 for the same package and get more work than I really want, but make decent money doing it.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 3:37 PM   #5

That's a great tip Caboose...I never thought to do that...thank you!! :-)

~~StitchBabe~~