Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Apr 25, 2006, 12:16 PM   #1

Having two 6 month olds in the house, when they were born I decided I needed a new camera. But, I'm not a photo fiend. I knew the only camera I'd ever use is one that would fit in my pocket. Have to put it in a case? I'd never take it anywhere.....I owned a canon S10 in the past, so I upgraded to an SD-400 5mp.

So you go "he's into taking those quick, lousy snapshots that everyone takes".

Yes...but....I also know the only way to take a decent picture of your kids is in natural light, with a tripod, turing the flash off So I put the little camera on the tripod, frame up my kids, and start snapping. And out of 50 shots, maybe 5 aren't blurred and maybe 2 are worth printing.

Now, this is with the camera left in auto mode. I have dabbled with changing the ISO numbers...and I think shutter speed......but that just tends to produce a picture that is just as blurred with much more grain. Removing the grain with software produces an overly soft image.

I can't win

So, can someone give me some quick pointers on things to do, or is that as good as it gets with these little minicams? I dont think I'm getting the most out of my little canon though, so I'd like to try to work with it first.

I know that if I used an off-axis flash, pointed at the ceiling or something, I could get more natural shots, no blurring, and no deer-in-headlight with everything behind pitch black-even-in-daylight shots....but I really dont want to go that route if I dont have to.

Are there any pocket digicams that excel at this, or is there a way to work with my SD-400 to reduce the blurring while still capturing no-flash images? Do other small digicams not exhibit this problem or is this common with all digicams when you manually shut off the flash? (Sometimes I think this Canon will even fire its flash in direct sunlight.)

I'm kind of lost, can anyone help me out here? Many thanks in advance!

HeadRusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2006, 6:47 PM   #2

Try shooting shutter priority at 1/250th a second.

That should freeze the movements of young kids.

If your photos are turning out too dark, boost the ISO.

Here's a general guide:

Outdoors Sunny - ISO100

Early Morning or Late Afternoon - ISO400

Evening, low oight or indoors in a well lit room - ISO800

Low lit room, or dusk - ISO1600 or higher.

Good luck!

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 6:51 PM   #3

Thanks for the tips, I'll try setting the shutter speed faster to see what that does for me.

If i set the digicam to ISO 400 though (the highest it goes), I get massive grain. I'll play around somemore.

Old Apr 26, 2006, 7:01 PM   #4

If your camera can't handle high ISO, you'll certainly be limited in terms of indoor or low light photography.

Maybe look at a KM 5D or a Canon Digital Rebel.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:27 PM   #5

You have 3 days more include today to buy the Sony cybershot DSC- P200 with a best price = $230 at Besbuy, you will get $30 giftcard for next purchage

Its is a 7.2 MP, carl-zeiss lens. Set the camera => scene => sport mode (goft player icon) Event with tripod you still need flash on when taking picture your baby indoor, flash set auto, dont shoot to close to the baby, must be 5 feet or futher and zoom in, bring him or her close to the window is better if you still dont want to use falsh. I have 4 grand children they are my models for thousands of shot so you can trust me

This picture was reduced quality 10 times and was taken by the sony DSC-P150 => similar to the DSC 200 :-)
Bring them out door always is the best idea my friend even take a picture without a camera like this one :

AnhNamUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:34 PM   #6

Hmm..well the Canon has a baby/pet mode that I turned on, and I think you just answered another one of my questions:

When I use the flash the camera is within a few feet of my subject.

<smack>

I need to reposition the camera further back and then use the flash, with zoom.

I can always crop/enlarge when I get the shots into the PC.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:35 PM   #7

..and another followup. In the super sub-compact cameras like my elph, are there ANY that take a decent photo without flash and without such a long shutter speed?

Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:42 PM   #8

yes, as I told you, bring them next to the window...on a shining day or waiting when they are sleeping...j/k...I did took many pics when they are sleeping

AnhNamUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:20 PM   #9

even with the camera on a tripod when you push the shutter you will get some camera movement. try using the self timer, the SD400 has a 10 second and 2 second setting. And as AnhNamUSA suggested use window light and you canreflect some of that light with a reflector or white posterboard to help lightsome of the shadow areas.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote