Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Apr 29, 2006, 12:59 PM   #1

:? Hi I'm new to digital photography & I'm wondering if it's possible to edit out purple fringing ? I can get rid of noise most of the time but P F has got me beat ,I have Photo Elements 4 & I cant find any reference to it ,so I would appreciate any advice. Thanks in anticipation

deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2006, 7:24 PM   #2

Hard to correct unless you can shoot in RAW & have access to the latest Photoshop software.....
Old Apr 29, 2006, 7:59 PM   #3

There are also several CS2 actions to do the same to JPG, etc. files. Perhaps not quite as good as working in RAW, but they still reduce the PF.

Here's one of many: http://www.shaystephens.com/ca-ps.php. I use one by Peter iNova for PF reduction when it occurs with my DSC-F828 --- it comes with his digital camera e-books.. Here's another one that is free: http://www.sd3.info/pf828/

However, I know of none that work with Elements. Sorry.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 9:24 PM   #4

......it's called "elements" for a reason (Paint Shop Pro is an excellent alterative to the full-blown PhotoShop).
Old Apr 30, 2006, 7:08 AM   #5

There is a plugin called PFree which does work with Elements. I don't seem to have the URL though. May have fotten it from photo freeware site. It's a bit complicated to use, as there are many adjustments, and the thumbnail view doesn't zoom, which makes things hard to see at times. Once I got it figured out, I found it to work well, though. Don't use it much, as my camera isn't too prone to that, and I mostly shoot RAW. Good RAW conversion software does prevent it from showing up much.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 9:47 AM   #6

I'm not familiar with elements, but if it has Select > Color Select you can do about what CS2 does.

Blow the image way up so you can get at the purple fringing. Select > Color Select and click on the purple in the blown up section of the image. Mess with the fuzziness to get all the purple fully selected but not bleed over into other things. OK and zoom back out. Look around the image for anything selected that isn't purple fringing. If you happen to have something purple in the photo that also got selected hold the Alt key while you click on it with the magic wand.

Probably the easiest way to go from there is Select > Invert. Use the color picker tool and click on the sky outside the purple fringing. Select > Invert again. Select a large paintbrush and just paint everything selected. Only the selected purple will be changed to the color of the sky. You can also double click the foreground color and pick a light gray for the paintbrush. I think that is about what CS2 does with the CA removal.

It is a lot faster and easier than the instructions would suggest unless you have something like hundreds of little purple flowers in the photo. You will have to mess with the fuzziness and maybe add some feathering, but once you get it right it is pretty fast for subsequent images.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 1:36 PM   #7

:-)Thanks for your help everyone ,I'll be looking up the sites & trying to do what Slipe suggests ( greatly appreciated)
Old Apr 30, 2006, 9:37 PM   #8

deadshot wrote:
Quote:
:-)Thanks for your help everyone ,I'll be looking up the sites & trying to do what Slipe suggests ( greatly appreciated)
A bit late, but just to add one more data point to the discussion, Silkypix also has a built-in CA (or purple fringing) correction function.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 8:36 PM   #9

Just as an update: I found that Elements has the same Color Replacement tool as Photoimpact. It works well for purple fringing. Use is similar to what Slipe mentioned for selecting, etc. Just click on the color, then, using the sliders, adjust saturation, hue, and lightness to blend the purple to the surroundings. This also works well to minimize color casts from mixed lighting situations.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 5:10 AM   #10

Thanks very much Brian ,in the short time I have been on this site I think it's fantastic everyone is very helpful,

Best Wishes to you all Johnin England.