Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old May 4, 2006, 11:14 AM   #1

Hi everyone, got a question for you. I got a Canon 70-200mm f/4 lens, and I take alot of photos, but how do I get clear action shots of dogs running? Is the aperture of 4 too high to get clear action shots? Should I do manual focus on this, or autofocus?

I would love some tips and tricks on this.
miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2006, 1:01 PM   #2

aperture of 4 is as low as your lens goes not high, that lets most light in and give fastest speed

i think as with any shot where subject is moving speed is the key, u want to keep aperture low, if u set it to f4 on semi manual the camera will work out the speed for you

just a case of shooting ans shooting till u get shots u want. my dog knows when camera is pointing at him and turns away when he hears it beep.....got plenty of shots of him looking away !! LOL

Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 2:11 PM   #3

Miko,

The lens in question is more than capable of capturing good action shots of your dog. You don't specify, however, what camera you have. Let us know as that can change the answer (i.e a 300d doesn't have the same capabilities as a 20d).

Second, what exactly is the problem with the photos you are currently taking? Is there motion blur, completely out of focus or camera shake - what?

Post some examples and what settings you used to get them and we can advise from there.

Given that information I can give you a more detailed answer of what you can do differently to get better results.

John
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 3:18 PM   #4

I got a Canon 350D. Sometimes I get good action shots, and sometimes I don't. When I get the bad ones, the background is clear and the object come out blurry. I use the aperture of 4 to get the focus and shoot in manual. When the sun is out, I put the exposure as high as it get. Maybe I'll get a tripod and hope for better results...
miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 7:15 AM   #5

Miko,

A tripod is unlikely to help. Again, if you could post one of the 'bad ones' along with the ISO, aperture and shutter speeed that would be helpful.

You said you shoot in Manual mode with aperture of f4. What shutter speed do you set it at?

What focus mode is the 350 in? single-shot or ai-servo? Are you using one focus point or all of them?

The sample pictures will be a big help in determining what is going wrong with your action shots.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 9:46 AM   #6

miko wrote:
Quote:
I got a Canon 350D. Sometimes I get good action shots, and sometimes I don't. When I get the bad ones, the background is clear and the object come out blurry. I use the aperture of 4 to get the focus and shoot in manual. When the sun is out, I put the exposure as high as it get. Maybe I'll get a tripod and hope for better results...
A tripod will not help subject motion blur - only a faster shutter speed and/or panning will help that. Take a look at your images with an EXIF viewer to find out what shutter speed freezes the motion and increase the ISO until you can get to that shutter speed. If the light is to low for that to work, you will need a faster (and more expensive) lens.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 2:53 PM   #7

I shoot thousands of action dog pictures, generally I use AV with spot metering and ai-servo. f8 and try to keep shutter speed at 800 to 1000 by changing ISO. This setting works with most of my lenses from 85mm f1.8 to Bigma with 1.4 extender. I generally use a long lens, but as it starts getting darker (IE raining) I'll start getting shorter and faster with the lenses.

Dick

somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 8:57 AM   #8

It sounds like your focussing technique is a bit off. I have the same problem shooting my son playing football....clear backgrounds and out of focus subject.
bmacs is offline   Reply With Quote