Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old May 22, 2006, 10:58 PM   #1
des

I take my Coolpix 8400 on the job, usually in people's homes, to document observations, especially unusual ones. Often what I want to shoot is ill-lit but also specular in part, or at least high-albedo. These subjects can be inches across or feet, and an inch away or a few feet, in the open or tucked away. Usually it is not appropriate to take elaborate measures to set up shots, to carry along a tripod, to bring assorted reflectors, . . . because the shoots are not what I'm there to be spending my time and effort on.

In some cases, despite this, I've come up with crisp shots, worth sharing, even worth using to illustrate written material.

I'd like to increase the proportion of these, though I'm still perfectly content to come back and find that the majority of my shots are useless.

What recommendations do you have?
These could include books or articles.

Would a penlight held me get the camera to focus crisply in some cases?
Would a polarizing filter help reduce glare from the flash hitting a shiny spot?

Tnx
des is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2006, 1:04 AM   #2

A penlight should help with low-light focusing, though I can't say from personal experience. I recall reading abouta LED unit that mounts to camera for just this situation, but don't recall the name. Perhaps someone else may remember.

I would think that using a diffuser on your flash may help with reflections. You will probably have to adjust esposure, though. An off-camera flash reflecting off ceiling would give you more even lighting, as well.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 10:00 AM   #3
des

tnx, brian
des is offline   Reply With Quote