Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Jul 20, 2003, 4:54 PM   #11

hahaha you guys all made me laugh......

....now I wonder where I put that old magnifying glass..... <tosses the cornflakes out of the package to use the cardboard box> .....

Great tip!
Can't wait to try it out! hehe
Soundengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2003, 8:52 PM   #12

Quote:
....now I wonder where I put that old magnifying glass....
Lenses stripped from film/dia projectors will also do.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2003, 10:56 PM   #13

that's great but i dont want to duct tape a $1 lens to my $1200 camera!!!!
i would rather go buy a $20 lens a the camera store

but still very cool
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 8:50 AM   #14

I sold some gold coins from my father-in-law's estate on E-bay and needed good close up shots. My Epson 750z digicam, while having a macro mode, would not focus close enough to really do the job I needed. I have a little stand with a magnifying glass attached which I use for soldering small electronic projects. Placing the coin on a colored background, lighting it with my desk lamp, and shooting through the magnifying glass yielded pictures which filled the frame and showed all details nicely. The 750z has only automatic white balance so I adjusted the hue of the pictures in my photo editor to give a natural gold color. The coins sold quickly and brought good prices. As they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words", especially a good picture.

Puck
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 12:38 AM   #15

I've used a flatbed scanner to successfully scan coins. It's much easier than using a camera and gives very good results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck M
I sold some gold coins from my father-in-law's estate on E-bay and needed good close up shots. My Epson 750z digicam, while having a macro mode, would not focus close enough to really do the job I needed. I have a little stand with a magnifying glass attached which I use for soldering small electronic projects. Placing the coin on a colored background, lighting it with my desk lamp, and shooting through the magnifying glass yielded pictures which filled the frame and showed all details nicely. The 750z has only automatic white balance so I adjusted the hue of the pictures in my photo editor to give a natural gold color. The coins sold quickly and brought good prices. As they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words", especially a good picture.

Puck
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 8:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerito
I've used a flatbed scanner to successfully scan coins. It's much easier than using a camera and gives very good results.
Another good idea. I don't have a scanner so I used what I had at the time. As they say, "necessity is the mother of invention".
Puck
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 6:51 PM   #17

Just last summer I saw the results of a kid who was in Africa with some small, basic camera. He put the lense up against the eyepiece of a binocular and got some real decent telehoto shots. Out of curiosity, I tried a small monocular with a Coolpix and was fairly impressed. Granted, not something for everyday use but a smart idea for an otherwise impossible situation.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 8:02 PM   #18

There is one thing to say for those tiny lens cameras; you can easily put any optics in front of it. Try that with a dlsr lens.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote