Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old May 30, 2006, 5:06 PM   #1

I've been asked to take a few shots for someone's portfolio this weekend. They're going to be outdoors on Saturday afternoon about 4.00pm with the subject (female) having a couple of different outfits.

My question is, what mode am I best having the camera in, shutter priority or aepeture mode or full manual.

Are there advantages of shooting in arpeture mode or should I let the camera take care of the arpeture by shoot in shutter priority mode.

Hope this makes sense....thanks for looking.
Jake the Mus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2006, 5:17 AM   #2

Actually I've just read this excellent thread here which makes things a lot clearer.
Old May 31, 2006, 9:31 PM   #3

I would suggest you bracket your shots on Saturday. Hopefully you have this feature- If you don't you can use your plus exposure setting to shoot a plus one and plus two setting.

Try not to have too much contrast in your picture (subject contrast- not to worry that much about the backgound contrast). Needless to say the skin tone is the most important factor to consider. You may want tohave the subject stand in 'open shade'. And you may want to use flash 'fill' if you do have strong shadows on the face.

Stay away from a WA setting as thiswould not be as pleasing to the face.

Again- if you have 'bracket shot' capabilities it would be a huge asset. Love my FZ-20 which has this feature.
fzlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 12:47 AM   #4
rey

I would mix it up. Usually on portrait shots, you want the background to fade out, so you might be better off with Aperture priority on some shots. Checkout what others use on the "People Photos" forum, check the exif files and see what they used, and what the effects are on depth of field.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=5
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=5

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 3:41 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies guys.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:15 AM   #6

Let me just suggest that you may want to start in auto mode -- concentrate on the model and the composition, and take the first round of shots without giving any thought to the camera. Then, you'll probably want to take some in aperture mode, where you're thinking about how the camera plays into the overall effect you are after. But the biggest variables aren't in the camera -- they're in the scene, so start by focusing on that.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 5:31 PM   #7

Good idea...thanks for that.

tclune wrote:
Quote:
Let me just suggest that you may want to start in auto mode -- concentrate on the model and the composition, and take the first round of shots without giving any thought to the camera. Then, you'll probably want to take some in aperture mode, where you're thinking about how the camera plays into the overall effect you are after. But the biggest variables aren't in the camera -- they're in the scene, so start by focusing on that.

Old Jun 8, 2006, 3:17 PM   #8

Taking those pictures at 4PM is probably the worst time because of shadows.

USE YOUR FLASH to fill in the face and you should be fine.

Practice on someone today to see what you need to do.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 1:05 AM   #9

What about a diffusion filter... I have read that they make portraits look a lot nicer, but are you better off doing it after the fact or using the filter?
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 9:59 AM   #10

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
Taking those pictures at 4PM is probably the worst time because of shadows.

USE YOUR FLASH to fill in the face and you should be fine.

Practice on someone today to see what you need to do.
I agree with Ronnie here, at 4:00 the sun is still pretty high this time of year. Try to find a shady spot and use a flash or preferably a reflector for fill light. If there is any chance to reschedule for early morning I would try to do that, or hope for an overcast day.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote