Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Jun 27, 2006, 8:59 PM   #1

Has anyone tried infrareds with a Canon S2 or S3Some of my Canon s3 shots http://flickr.com/photos/drailog/ Rick
drailog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:15 PM   #2

Do you have Photoshop or Elements? They pack more and more "stuff" into these cameras, but like faking black & white, sepia or something else like infrared, any image is muchbetter done afterwards with much more control over the resultson the computer and you still have your nice, non-infrared original. Sometimes you don't even think about doing infrared until afterwards, like I did with the attached image. Take a file you like that looks like it may be a good condidate and use the channel mixer command, check the monochrome box,leave the red at 100, set green to 200, blue to -200 and the constant setting to taste- usually somewehere between 0 and -30. That's all it takes.
Attached Images

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 8:14 AM   #3

Thanks Greg, I do have and use Photoshop and love it, but the faux infrareds are cool but not the same, or as fun, nothing like the real thing as they say...
Old Jun 29, 2006, 9:55 AM   #4

Let me be dumb here a minute. As I am new to all this, how is this picture above differnt from Black and White. Also, I'm looking for this channel mixer command in Photoshop Elements and don't see it. Does that many you need the full version of PS to have the ability to do this?

Ches
fullerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 10:17 AM   #5

Hi fullerc,

Evidently there is a way to add channel mixer to Elements. See here:

http://www.cavesofice.org/~grant/Cha...ols/Files.html

Infrared gives a different "look" vs. traditional black & white. I can't really get into it technically because I'm just not knowledgeable enough myself, but just to give two examples of the difference,blues go really dark and greens go white with infrared. See the trees in the image I posted above? They are in full bloom and are very green in the original color image. The sky is overcast- had it been blueand (preferrably) cloudy, the look would have been even better. Here are some additional examples:

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/1612410

drailog,

You are correct, there's nothing better than the "real deal". At some point I will be getting a replacement DSLR. When I do I may well have my current one converted for infrared, butonly if I decide I want to get more seriously into that type work- I do love the look, but mainlywith my superwide lens. For someone just into it for fun every once & awhile the Photoshop way is a great tool.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 5:53 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply...i'll load the tool tonight and play with it.
fullerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 9:15 PM   #7

Great shot, try it with some green leaf trees and then look at a true infrared and you will see a big difference between a true infrared and a photoshop fix. here is a quick example http://www.outbackphoto.com/reviews/....html#20050815
Old Jul 9, 2006, 12:14 AM   #8

Most newer digital cameras have an infrared blocking filter built into them making infrared photography very difficult if not impossible. There are a couple of companies that will convert some DLSR models to infrared, but it is not cheap and then you can only shoot infrared with it. There are severl older digital cameras that do not have the blocking filter, most are in the 2MP range, but still take very good pictures. Probably the best one is the Olympus C-2020Z, I found mine on e-bay. The Nikon CoolPix 950 is another good one. All you need is a Hoya R72 filter and you're ready. You can test your camera for IR sensitivity using your TV remote. Put your camera in program mode at ISO 100, point your remote into the lens from no more than 12" away, and press any button on the remote. Look for the IR beam in the cameras view finder or LCD. If the beam looks bright you should be able to get good IR pictures. I took this shot last week hand held at Ft Gibson Lake in Oklahoma.
Attached Images

Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 4:10 AM   #9

I owned an Olympus 2100uz, loved it for IR, I hope the thief that took it has a great time with it...
Old Aug 11, 2006, 3:46 PM   #10

Some of my Canon s3 shots http://flickr.com/photos/drailog/