Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old May 20, 2003, 11:52 AM   #1

Default distortion of patterned clothing in photos

Help! I recently photographed a family event with my Nikon Coolpix 5700. Several of the photos show severe distortion of subjects who were wearing patterned clothing. For example, my father-in-law had on a sportcoat with a very subtle gray/white stiching. In the resulting photos, he looks like he is wearing some swirly-patterned leisure suit from the 70's! Has anyone had a similar problem? Is there anything I can do to fix the photos I have and to prevent this from happening in the future? :?
Jes&Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2003, 12:39 PM   #2

Canít tell really without an example. But I guess that come from an over noise reduction, or a too strong picture compression. You can make a test at very low compression jpeg (big file) , or save as tiff ,or better RAW format to see if it help?
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2003, 2:09 PM   #3

Likely that is a Moire pattern that results from the regular patern of the CCD sensors in your camera's alignment with the patern in the sports coat. It is one situation where film is better than digital.

An example:
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2003, 3:52 PM   #4

[img]
Thanks for the feedback. I just returned from having the image professionally printed. Fortunately the pattern looks correct on the print. However, if I intended to use these photos on a website, they would still look distorted. I have tried to attach an example here but can't tell if I am attaching correctly. I clicked on the "Img*" button along the bar of the reply window, but I can't seem to attach my example...............[/img]
Old May 21, 2003, 2:03 PM   #5
lg

Are the distortions still present in the image when viewed at 100%?
Or do the distortions appear when you resize the image to something smaller?

If so, there's a problem. If the distortions appear only on the smaller resized pics, don't worry about it. I think since your prints came out OK you are just experiencing the inability of your monitor to view odd-sized pictures resized from the original.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 7:16 PM   #6

I can't help much with the camera/picture side of things, as I am a newbie myself, but could it be your monitor? I used to work P.C. support (I have now graduated to networking) and I have seen some monitors, that distort small high contract patterns. Small black and white checkers often become a swirl of colors when the monitor isn't up to the task.
estill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 10:38 PM   #7

When I view the picture at full frame, the distortions are there but when I zoom in, the distortion disappears. When I zoom in on a patterned portion of the picture, the pattern is correct. Maybe it could be my monitor. I am relieved that the true pattern is there, as shown by the printout. I appreciate all of the feedback.