Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:12 AM   #1

HI...I have a Canon S2 IS and cannot figure out where the sports mode is. This camera does not have a sports mode button, but what can I do to get the same effect? I want to take photos of my son playing soccer, but I cant get a clear picture on the auto mode...so I"d like to learn how to use the right sports mode. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you :idea:
zaomran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2006, 1:02 PM   #2

All a sports mode does is set the camera to have a high shutter speed and open the aperture to gain more lightand perhapsboost the ISO setting.

You can achieve the same effect by using shutter mode, setting a high speed and perhaps setting the ISO a little higher than normal, but not too much.

The S2 sucks at 400 so let 200 be the highest you go to unless you really really have no other choice..

Do note that most indoor gyms are poorly lit, and the same goes for floodlit pitches/fields, which basically means a lot of poor dark photos at high shutter speeds, or blurred people when you are forced to a slower speed and the slow speed shows up not only the movement of the people running around, but may also lead to camera shake..

So if you can take a monopod or rest the camera on a railing to steady it all to the good.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 5:10 PM   #3

Thank you...With that said, I have a couple questions...I am so new at this that some of the terminology confuses me...What is an example of a high shutter speed and shutter mode?
zaomran is offline   Reply With Quote