Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Toshiba

Old Oct 7, 2006, 3:57 PM   #1

I have a PDR-M81 camera. I took the card out of it and used my card reader to get the pictures off of it. Now the camera has "card error" on the screen. I can't do anything with the camera now. I can't even format the card. How can I fix this?
wolfrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2006, 8:22 PM   #2
Administrator

Did you copy the photos and leave them on the card,or try to use Windows to delete them (and a cut and paste is another way to delete)?

Sometimes if you don't use the "Safely remove hardware" icon in the system tray and remove a card from a reader, you can get corrupted media because Windows can cache writes. You can usually turn off this caching by setting "Optimize for Quick Removal" for the card reader's drivers (usually under a hardware tab somewhere if you look at a reader's properties by right clicking on it).

If the card reader can still see the card, then you can try formatting it using Windows. Make sure to select FAT for the file system.

Simply right click on the card under "My Computer", select Format from the menu. You'll come to a screen that includes a drop down "File System Type" list.

Make sure to select "FAT" from the list (otherwise, Windows defaults to a 32 bit FAT, which is not compatible with your camera).

After formatting it as FAT using Windows, I'd make sure to format it again using the camera's menus for format before using it again.

You could also have something as simply as dirty contacts causing the issue with the camera. Try inserting and removing the card a few times and see if you can get a better connection that way if all else fails.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 3:24 PM   #3

I sent the card in to get it fixed. When it returned, it says "card not formatted". No problem, I format it. Then I get "card full" message. Then it go back to "card not formatted". Any solutions here?
Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:51 AM   #4
Administrator

"it says card not formatted"

What is it? The camera? Windows using a card reader?

What did you try formatting it with (camera or reader)? If a card reader, did you make sure to use FAT as the file system type?

Have you tried removing and inserting the card a few times to make sure it's making a good connection (see my first post in this thread)?

Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:57 AM   #5

The camera. I took the card back out, blew in the slot and put the card back in. It formatted and no problem so far. Must have been dust in it.

It's a good thing Toshiba doesn't make cameras any more. I wouldn't buy another one.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:00 AM   #6
Administrator

It's not uncommon for a bit of oxidation to build up on contacts over a period of time.

Inserting and removing a card a few times usually helps remove some of the oxidation and lets a card get a better connection.