Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Toshiba

Old Aug 5, 2003, 11:24 AM   #11

Hi,

Bought a PDR 3330 (silver version) bundled with a 32 mb toshiba sd card three weeks ago for US 170 plus shipping from tigerdirect.com; don't seem to have any problems, SO FAR. ( Am keeping my fingers crossed. ) Am also using it with a 128 Mb Viking sd card and Powerhaus rechargeable nimh batteries. Firmware version is 1.05a. Have taken over 200 shots and, though the pictures are quite clear ( a lot sharper to compared to my old Fuji 2300 2 megapix ), I find some of them have color purity errors. ( Outdoor shots have this unnatural magenta hue over them -- White balance setting errors maybe? -- Though I have shot some scenes with the WB set to cloudy, the color quality seems to be a little out of touch with reality compared to say, a Canon) Check out Steve's sample shots; btw, the Canon G3's picture quality seems to be the best of the lot. What really attracted me to the toshiba was of course, the very attractive price for the features; but after seeing the picture quality, I sure am having second thoughts. Maybe should have saved up for that Canon G3 after all. Any other PD3300/3330 users out there having the same problems? Your feedback would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
William Reyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2003, 1:45 PM   #12

I just picked up my PDR-3300 today. Only two were shipped to the store today and the other one was being bought right before me, so I guess I went there just in time.

So far the camera seems fine (knock on wood). I tried some indoor shots which look good. I'll try some outdoor ones to see if I get that 'magenta' hue....
Mystery905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2003, 9:14 PM   #13

Yikes. I just ordered the PDR 3300 from Futureshop.ca (the $299 price was definately the clincher for me) Now that I'm reading all these messages I'm getting afraid.

You still have 30 days to return online purchases even if they're sale items am I correct?
Also what kind of warranty comes with the camera, or can I purchase extra warranty from Futureshop? Would that be worth it?

I really like the manual features, Canon lens, and sample pictures. But I'm finishing University this year which means I have a student budget which = not a lot of money. I wonder if I made the right decision....

I suppose I'll try it out for the 30 day period and see what happens.

I'll keep everyone posted and see how it does.
Elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2003, 10:25 AM   #14

Here's an update. I've been using the camera for 3 days and am very impressed with the picture quality and features. I have had none of the problems listed here (yet!). The outdoor shots I took did not have any magenta hue.

- Firmware 1.05A, using the supplied 8MB SD card, and also my Lexar 256 MB SD card which I share with my Ipaq 3950 PocketPC

- batteries: Energizer 1850 mah nimh x 4, Optex 1800 mah nimh x 4

This is light-years ahead of my previous point and shoot camera, Kodak CX4200.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 11:14 AM   #15

Mystery905 how did you power the camera while updating the firmware? Fresh batteries or AC power?
How long did it take?
Old Aug 8, 2003, 3:03 PM   #16

Actually I didn't have to update the firmware. I bought it with 1.05A installed!

I read you should either power with an optional AC adapter, or make sure your batteries are fully charged, plus you should use the 8MB supplied SD card to do a proper firmware upgrade.
Old Aug 9, 2003, 10:00 PM   #17

Well I changed my mind, cancelled the Toshiba order and went out and bought myself a Canon A70 tonight. I've had it for about an hour now and I absolutely love it. Great pictures. Easy to use menus. I bought a Panasonic 1 hour charger and 4 1950 Nihm batteries. I'll go out an buy a bigger memory card as well.

I've had Canon cameras for years and I've never had any problems with them. Plus their customer service is great. Toshiba might make great TV's but I'm glad I went with Canon for my camera.
Old Aug 16, 2003, 1:24 PM   #18

I just bought a PDR 3300 and have been struggling with the batteries so far. I am a newbie to digital camera and therefore did not realize about the high power consumption of the digital camera. the camera 'ate' the 4 brand new alkaline batteries shipped with the box after a few shots. so i bought myself NiMH rechargable batteries but they still don't work! i noticed that the voltage on the AA battery is 1.2v. so with 4 AA batteries, they will total up to be 4.8v but the camera needs 5v. is this the prob? how did you guys deal with the battery issue?
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2003, 7:49 PM   #19

1.2V NiMh batteries are fine. The mah rating of the rechargeable batteries you use makes a big difference. The higher the mah, the longer they last. I use 1800 mah in one set, and 1850 in another. Be careful: some of the ones they sell out there are only 1600 or less.

Also, nimh batteries tend to lose a bit of their charge as time goes on, even without using them.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 10:50 AM   #20

Maybe you got a bum charger. I bought a digipower charger with 1800 mah batteries from tigerdirect, charged it immediately following the instructions (4 hrs) and used it; to my surprise, the batteries were only good for 11 shots! So I repeated the whole process, this time charging it overnight... same results! Went out and bought another brand ( Powerhaus), and thank goodness this time it worked. So far I get about a 100 shots with the LCD on. Don't know if this is normal because I read somewhere that you should be agle to get 200+ shots with 1800 mah batteries.

Note: If you're getting a charger, get one that trickle charges after the quick charging is done.

William
William Reyes is offline   Reply With Quote