Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Toshiba

Old Aug 17, 2003, 1:21 PM   #21

thanks for the reply. i bought a Digicom rapid charger from Tigerdirect.ca because the charger is able to receive an input range from 110-240V, which is useful for travelling. i m not sure what happened initially but the first 2 charges of my batteries only take about 30 minutes before the light on the charger indicated that it has finished charging. anyway, it is working now and it took about 4 hours to charge a set of 4AA NiMH batteries. weird.
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 3:24 PM   #22

I'm new to digital cameras too, but with regards to the battery issues it was my understanding that nimh batteries had to be 'charged-in' to achieve full capacity. I had similar results (although not to the same degree mentioned above) with my new batteries, but now after several charging cycles I run out of space on my 128mb card well before one set of batts poop out. FWIW, I'm using a lightning pack 4000n and jetcell gx batteries from ripvan100.com. So, you may want to wait before taking back batteries after one poor performance on their first charge.
octocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2003, 6:38 AM   #23

Below is the email I have sent to Toshiba and am awaiting their reply
Hi .. I recently purchased the PDR-3300 (August 16th) ... The camera has had a recurring problem from the start .. When powering it up the viewfinder light would light up (green) but the camera would not continue to power up (no LCD , nothing else works).... This would occur almost half the time .. to correct I would have to open / close the battery cover ...this would correct it most of the time ...sometimes it needed to be repeated more then once to correct the problem .... I brought the camera back to the retail outlet and exchanged it for another but have had the same problem ... the batteries I am using are 1800mAh NI-MH using a SUNPAK battery charger kit .... after the camera powers up fully I have no problems at all with taking pictures as well as using all the other menu options and it takes numerous pictures for an extended amount of time without the batteries becoming depleted... the battery ICON shows as fully charged ... Is this a known power up problem for this model? ...any recommendations to correct problem
Thanks
ddesjarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2003, 7:59 PM   #24

I ended up returning my PDR3300 due to the issues listed here. The last straw was when it wouldn't even power on (no LED either) even with freshly charged batteries--it just died!

I got a Kodak CX6330, which is smaller, and even though it doesn't have the manual controls of the Toshiba, should be more reliable and it takes great pictures.
Mystery905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2003, 9:23 PM   #25

Below's Toshiba's reply to my email ... looks like either they have an auto repy in effect or the tech has a standard reply ... I did state I had already relaced the fist camera I purchased and also asked if this was a known problem (ie..camera does not fully power up)... anyway, it looks like their fix is try another one... I am wondering if it's worth the trouble or just get a refund ... the PDR 3300's from Future Shop (where I purchased mine) already come with the lastest firmware upgrade .... if anyone is not experiencing this problem with the latest firmware please let me know ... maybe it is still the luck of the draw ... I also did upgrade to a 256 mem card which seems to work fine ....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for contacting the Toshiba Digital Resource Center for
Technical Support. We apologize that your Toshiba digital camera is not working properly.
Please locate an authorized Toshiba service center in your area or
select our SAME DAY EXCHANGE OPTION. Further information is
available at the respective web site listed below:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ddesjarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2003, 12:42 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddesjarl
I am wondering if it's worth the trouble or just get a refund ... the PDR 3300's from Future Shop (where I purchased mine) already come with the lastest firmware upgrade .... if anyone is not experiencing this problem with the latest firmware please let me know ... maybe it is still the luck of the draw ... I also did upgrade to a 256 mem card which seems to work fine ....
I've never had power problems with mine. See my post re: ccd problems though.
octocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 9:55 PM   #27

Default Toshiba PDR-3300 no problem for 5 months

I've been using this great camera with no problems at all.
1.05a, Sandisk 256M card, NM-hi batteries.
Thought I'd upgrade to 1.06 firmware but following the instructions did not put this camera into "program mode". Tried everything.
After reading the posts on this camera and not having any problems at all, I have decided to leave well enough alone!!!!!
Oh yeah......I did return the first one I got (3 days) because the menuing system did not high-light the selection and there was no way of knowing where in the menu system one was.......Future Shop had no problem replacing with a new one...gotta like them for that.

Maybe I'm just lucky...this is a really nice....fully manual...camera.
bill soper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 8:35 PM   #28

I have used the PDR3300 for over a year now, with no serious complaints. The one thing that I have noticed is that the exposure goes out the window when you zoom in on a subject. I first noticed it with a indoor/flash pic, but got the same results out of doors. I may be doing something wrong with that feature. Any ideas?

As for that "magenta hue" that apparently is common in all Digital photgraphy. go to google and do a search for "purple plague", as it is known. If you are using Photoshop or any other good photoediting prgram, this can be corected. The search will give you lincs to the workflow
SternSteve121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 6:36 PM   #29

Hey whats up, I had/have the same problem with my toshiba 3300. It would not turn on for the longest and I kept playing with it. Now I have to hold the flash button down while I turn the camera on, sounds dumb but its the only thing that gets it to go on. Now iam having other problems with this thing. But I figured I would let you know how I got mine on in case you are still using it.

Kimberlina
Kimberlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 12:34 AM   #30

Well, here we are in 2006. I bought this camera in september 2003. It worked mostly fine except for one little problem. The flash would at times not fire. I thought nothing of it because it seldom happened.

I had never read any forums about all the problems with this camera and - other than the above flash problem - I never had any other problems with it. Then one day in april 2006, I went to turn it on with batteries fully charged. It turned on and the "fully charged" battery icon showed up. I took a single shot and the icon went red (empty) as if the batteries were dead. So I checked the batteries with a voltage meter and found the batteries were indeed fully charged.

I turned the camera on. Again the icon showed batteries as fully charged. Took one single picture and again the icon went red and the camera turned itself off. I left the batteries out for a week to see if that would make any difference. It did not. Now, anytime I turn this camera on, it turns itself off within a few seconds.

It took longer for me, but looks like it was a lemon after all ! :sad:
3dfan is offline   Reply With Quote