Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Toshiba

Old Jul 22, 2003, 10:45 PM   #1

Default PDR-3300 pic quality trouble

I read a few posted that said you 'liked' the pictures out of the 3300, can someone help me figure out what is wrong with mine?

Here are links to pics from my 3320 and 3300. I used the 3300 in the modes described in the review (all default basically, like out of the box), and the picture on the 3300 is VERY grainy, and I cannot figure out why? I bought the camera based on the reviews, as they were better than the 3320, but seeminly not the pics... please help me out here. I've been through every setting in the manual and the pics are still grainy. Thanks for your assistance!

http://members.cox.net/flipside/PDR_3300.JPG
http://members.cox.net/flipside/PDR_3320.JPG
kevins7189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2003, 12:30 PM   #2

Your pics look fine. Digicams don't do well in low light. I didn't see any excessive grain. Try taking some pics outdoors with good light and your camera will shine.
ncprevost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 2:17 AM   #3

Sorry for going off topic, but do you notice those two red dots in the 3300 pic? (one in the center under the florecent light, and one on the very bottom left corner)

My PDR-3300 has one of those red dots in another location and no matter what I do, it's always at that same spot in every picture. Shotting outdoors or with the flash makes it fainter but, under high magnification in software picture viewers, it's still there. Is it possible to get rid of those red dots or is the CCD defective? FYI, this is my second PDR 3300 with this problem. I'm completely new to digital cameras so I am wondering if anybody can help?
newb_1000001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 4:41 PM   #4

I don't know much about PDR 3200 but for PDR 3300, if you are taking the pictures without flash light, it will adjust the light exposure but increasing the aperture size or lengthen the exposure time (under Automatic mode). the picture was blurry because of the fact that the exposure time was lengthened and your hand was moving/ shaking. you could do nothing about the hand moving except using a tripod stand or place it onto something non-mobile while taking the pictures. hope this helps.

Just a comment, without the 'shakiness' that is causing the blurring of image, the picture taken using PDR 3300 was actually much better than that taken using PDR 3200.
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 9:47 AM   #5

Ihave been using the PDR3300 for just over a year, I have not noticed any red dots anywhere in my pic. Taken indoors with flash or outdoors.

I have really enjoyed this camera, only complaint I have is that exposure drops by about 3 stops when I go telephoto. Havent figured out how or why this happens. Any Ideas out there.
SternSteve121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 12:46 PM   #6

Many (not all) zoom lenses 'lose' aperture as the zoom is increased. Nature of the beast, eh?
However, I would think the camera should adjust - such as longer exposure time. Check your metadata info.
If you're referring to flash pix using the on board flash fageddaboudit.
harry12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 8:36 PM   #7

Thanks Harry Ill give that try ...D"OH!!! why didnt I think of that.:O As for the onboard flash, thats one of the reasons Im lookin at something diff, that and I figure I need slightly higher res then 3.2.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 7:38 PM   #8

The newest cameras seem to have a better handle on the flash performance. My M500 (IIRC released in the middle of 2003) has a guide number of 7.2 @ ISO 100/ft. This is using Toshiba's figures! :sad:

But I knew this befor purchase. So I now use a bracket with an auxiliary flash. I need not get close enough to tack detached retinas.
harry12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 9:12 AM   #9

I did as you suggested. Took two shots, one completly wide and one full zoom in full auto mode. I couldnt believe it. the camera actually closed the arpeture by a stop in full zoom.:OThe results I was getting seemed to be alot more then just one top. I then took those number, and went full manual, and adjusted by a stop and then some. Reuslts were alot better.

I never had much faith in these on board flashes. THus my quest for acamera with a hot -shoe