Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Toshiba

Old Dec 7, 2003, 1:11 PM   #1

Default TOSHIBA PDR M25 LENS JAMMED

I have a TOSHIBA PDR M25! The camera worked fine till a few days back when the lens wudnt retract i can hear all the gears whining away inside but the lens wont retract! i think some mechanism inside is probably misaligned becos the camera was not dropped or banged in anyway

so as of now i have a camera which works great in all respects except an extended lens set at fixed focus and a blurry lcd!

DOES ANY BODY KNOW ANY THING THAT CAN BE DONE !
any help wud be GR8
dickybird7699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2003, 7:48 AM   #2

I am experiencing the same problem too. Just before the lens broke down i could hear a noise like "click" from inside.
so, i opened the lid and found out that a little axle had been that hed two gears together was out. i placed it back, but it still makes that noise. and of course the lens will stop working again...
Dimitris Tzouvaras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 8:08 AM   #3

Default If it's broken - get it fixed!

All of the manufacturers have a repair service - just look in your owners manual. I know you will be without your camera for a while, but that's the breaks. If it's under warranty - cost will be shipping at most. If the warranty has expired - well, find out the cost and campare that with buying a newer model you might want.
Probably no one can tell you how to fix your camera on this forum - if they could, you could do it yourself anyway!
When my Canon Videocam went bad, it took two weeks total from the time I mailed it until I had it back. Was under warranty so there was no cost except sending it. It works better than new! So, send it off!
:roll:
bsdunek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 4:15 PM   #4

first of all happy new year to everyone!
my brother works for toshiba...
other m25's have the same problem, some of them are fixed by replacing the axle, some others for some reason keep having the problem just as mine does .
to be repaired the whole lens has to be changed. that costs about 200 euros, and my camera is out of warranty. of course with that money i buy a new one....
i asked here for a permanent solution, a patent or something, not a way to fix a broken lens...
Dimitris Tzouvaras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 9:11 AM   #5

If you are handy mechanically you can fix it yourself. I fixed mine and it was doing exactly the same thing. The pin holding one of the gears comes out. Here is how I fixed it.

1. open the camera by removing all the screws. Make sure you are working on a clean surface so when the pin falls out you can save it.

2. remove the fork point assembly that rubs on the pc board. Remove the board and botton plate that surrounds the lens. Two screws. This holds the gears in.

3. This is the tricky part. I used JB Weld adheasive. Mix up the adheasive. Using a paper clip that is straightened to put a very small amount of JB Weld into the hole that the pin fits into. Make sure not to get any on the top of the hole as you will glue it to the gear when it is placed in. Wipe any excess with a Q-tip. Put a very small amount of the JB Weld on the tip of the pin. After a few minutes remove any excess from the pin.

4. Place the gear in position. When you can see the hole through the center of the gear, place the pin using needle nose plyers and press into place.

5. Let set overnight and reassemble.

My camera now works like it did before. I can't guarentee how long it will work as there is another gear with the same type of gear next to the problem one. It may be good for years.

It is worth the effort.

levasseurjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 9:12 AM   #6

Thanks, you got me into the camera and I was able to repair mine.

The pin holding one of the gears comes out. Here is how I fixed it.

1. open the camera by removing all the screws. Make sure you are working on a clean surface so when the pin falls out you can save it.

2. remove the fork point assembly that rubs on the pc board. Remove the board and botton plate that surrounds the lens. Two screws. This holds the gears in.

3. This is the tricky part. I used JB Weld adheasive. Mix up the adheasive. Using a paper clip that is straightened to put a very small amount of JB Weld into the hole that the pin fits into. Make sure not to get any on the top of the hole as you will glue it to the gear when it is placed in. Wipe any excess with a Q-tip. Put a very small amount of the JB Weld on the tip of the pin. After a few minutes remove any excess from the pin.

4. Place the gear in position. When you can see the hole through the center of the gear, place the pin using needle nose plyers and press into place.

My camera now works like it did before. I can't guarentee how long it will work as there is another gear with the same type of gear next to the problem one. It may be good for years.

It is worth the effort.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 9:12 AM   #7

If you are handy mechanically you can fix it yourself. I fixed mine and it was doing exactly the same thing. The pin holding one of the gears comes out. Here is how I fixed it.

It is worth the effort.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 1:13 AM   #8

My lens doesnt seem to be jammed, but the camera will not turn on. Fresh batteries and no display in LCD or TFT. I does keep snapping the shutter though. No buttons are jammed because I had the entire top off. The batteries get extremely hot after about 20 minutes too. I assume there is a short in it somewhere but I dont have the knowledge to go sniffing around in there. Any ideas? I tried to reset the chip by turning the power switch to "on" for 2 second and I have the new firmware on a Memory card, but lots of good that does if the camera doesnt turn on, right? I still have my working PDR-M1 though, broken battery door and everything. Bought this M25 for 10 bucks because the guy thought it was broken. Guess he was right!
pishta is offline   Reply With Quote