Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Toshiba

Old May 27, 2004, 2:39 PM   #1

My 2-month old PDR M-700, ***PLASTIC*** tripod mounting screw is stripped! For the price of this camera, why did they choose to save 2-3 cents per unit and opt for an flimsy plastic mounting screw? Is this part replaceable? If so, how much and where? HELP!!!
Virgobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2004, 5:04 PM   #2

Stripped the tripod mount, eh? :O Looking down inside my tripod mount (PDR M500), I see a small Phillips screw at the bottom. Looks like the tripod socket should be easily removable.
How much and where? Try an authorized Toshiba repair station - see if they'll sell you a part. That'll give you a starting idea of cost.
harry12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 5:37 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll get it a try, I was really trying NOT to deal with Toshiba. Plus, they'll probably replace the socket with yet another plastic one. Nonetheless, not wanting to to ship my camera out of town, I'd rather try to repair it here locally, thus saying me time.
Old May 27, 2004, 8:10 PM   #4

virgobro:
Just something to think about...

Don't know what your mechanical experience is - the screw that holds the tripod insert MAY have been coated with Loctite during assembly.
If you are able to get a replacement part, don't use excessive force when removing the screw - it can break. You will need to obtain a Loctite solvent. It should be the 'real thing' as I assume(?) some solvents can melt the camera body plastic.:shock:
Maybe the Loctite solvent can be purchased from the same place as the Toshiba part?
Old Jun 4, 2004, 1:37 AM   #5

Virgobro:
If you are still following this thread...
Happened upon this URL:

http://www.smartermall.com/product.a...&store=toshiba

- and what to my wondering eyes did appear? Why a Tripod Holder - Black for PDR-M700 .
Costly for a little plastic piece - but gives you a start, eh?
Old Jun 23, 2004, 8:15 PM   #6

Thanks for responding to my post. Sorry for the delay in responding to your suggestion. I been very frustrated with finding a solution for this camera, and almost gave up hope. I checked the URL you listed. Question. What the heck is a "tripod holder"? Their website is sans a photo, or description. I e-mailed my inquiry to the folks at the web site, still awaiting a response. Nonetheless, if you or anyone can tell me what the heck is a tripod holder. I would truly appreciate it.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 4:52 AM   #7

Virgobro,

Sorry to hear about your problem. The good news is that it could have actually been worse. I once bought a Toshiba PDR-M4. I used it a very short time and when I went to turn it on one day, the mode dial popped off in my hand. When I began to check on having it repaired, I found that this was a very common problem. Of course, Toshiba wouldn't acknowledge there was a design flaw in the camera. They blamed it on "operator error" and refused to honor the warranty. I just checked the Toshiba PDR-M4's for sale on eBay. There are about ten of them. More than half have the mode dial which has popped off, and only a couple of them actually work. Not surprisingly, none of Toshiba's models of digital cameras are bringing the prices that their competitor's cameras in the same class bring. I know you don't want to hear this, but I will giveyou what I honestly believe is the best advice you will ever receive concerning your camera. Sell it while it still works, and buy a GOOD camera. Toshiba is junk!
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 3:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Toshiba is junk!
I think that may be a bit of a genralization. I have a PDR 3200 which I have taken well over 3000 pictures with (many of which can be seen here). I have dropped it into a river and got it out. After a week it worked again. I recently took it on a hike to the top of Mount Rose. While walking around with it on the tripod I slipped. The tripod mount held while the adapter (camera-tripod) came loose sending the camera falling 30 feet across granite. The battery cover snaps broke but when I hold it tight it still works like a charm. For now I am using duct tape but I have to remove/replace it whenever I need to switch batteries, which is a pain. Anyone know of a place to get a replacement battery cover and/or anything I should know about replacing it.
I know Toshiba doesn't make the best or produce the best pictures, but I have been happy with it and only had to invest $220 for everything involved (camera, shipping, 128 mb sd, 32 mb sd, two sets batteries, and case).
powdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 12:15 AM   #9

"I think that may be a bit of a genralization."

I agree. Some people haven't had problems with their Toshiba digital cameras; however, in general, Toshiba is junk. I just checked the used Toshiba digital cameras on eBay. Of the four PDR-M60's for sale, the mode dial has only fallen off of two of them (eBay #3838277872, #3838545980). Thisis better than the PDR-M5's I found. The mode dial has also fallen off of two of them (eBay #3838827855, 3839085577), but thereare only three of them for sale. The seller of one of the broken PDR-M5's says Toshiba wants $105 to repair it. This seems a bit out of line since Toshiba sold the PDR-M60's and PDR-M5's with the defective mode dial after the problem had already been well-documented with the previous PDR-M4 model.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 12:42 AM   #10

I guess I got lucky. My experience has been nothing but positive. It was my first time using ebay and the camera came with an 32 Mb card even though the specs said 8 Mb. It has been rugged and very dependable. Of course when I bought it, price and the fact that it had an optical zoom were the main factors. as happy as I have been, my next camera won't be a Toshiba. I'll be looking more at a prosumer type that's a little faster.
Any ideas on a battery compartment cover?
powdork is offline   Reply With Quote