Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Toshiba

Old Jul 23, 2004, 1:36 PM   #1

Hi,

I just got the PDR-M700 and am generally quite happy with it except for the autofocus! I have read in its reviews and on forum that there are problems with it but mine will not autofocus in high zooms. The problem is always present indoors but sometimes even in outdoor shots, especially with an overcast sky, the camera refuses to autofocus. With 1.10A update, I can do a manual focus but still its not as conveneint when you want to click fast!

Has anyone else experienced it or found a cure for it?

Thanks and Regards
Nihar
nihar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2004, 1:13 AM   #2

Toshiba has a history of flawed and often downright defective digital cameras. I've noticed that the PDR-M700 sells for much less than the same class of camera from Toshiba's competitors. Unfortunately, this doesn't mean it's a bargain; it simply reflects how much they have to discount in order to entice buyers because of the historically bad reputation of their digital cameras. I wish you well with the PDR-M700. I'm extremely happy that the PDR-M4 was my first, andwill be my last,Toshiba product.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 4:05 AM   #3

you cant judge a company based on your experience with one of their models...i have the pdr-m500 which has been working fine for me, and it pretty much every feature i could want in a camera, at nearly half the cost of what other companies want...

just because you pay 500 bucks for windows xp, does that automatically make it better than linux or some other free OS? although its true most of the time, price does not ALWAYS dictate product quality. there are alot of people who im sure are happy with their toshiba camera and products, its too bad you arent one of them, but hey, you cant please everyone...all businesses know this.
Redman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 4:18 PM   #4

"there are alot of people who im sure are happy with their toshiba camera and products, its too bad you arent one of them, but hey, you cant please everyone...all businesses know this."

Yes, but not allbusinesses ignore "known" defects in their products and even introduce newer models which are plagued by the same defects. I'm not asking anyone to blindly accept my opinion of Toshiba as "gospel" though; I'm just telling anyone who is considering buying a Toshiba digital camera to check out the used ones being sold on eBay to see how many have problems or aren't working at all. They can decide for themselves if the ratio ofbad to goodToshiba cameras is the same as, better than, or worse than the used cameras from other manufacturers being sold there. I'm telling people to type "PDR-M4" into a search engine and see if they turn up some sites whereMANYpeople "documented" the problem of the mode dial simply falling off and complained about Toshiba's refusal to admit the problem and stand behind their product. Lastly, I suggest potential digicam buyers walk into the Wal-Mart camera section and ask the associates why Wal-Mart no longer carries Toshiba digital cameras. Hey, I'm happy "for" people who are happy "with" their Toshiba cameras. Obviously, I'm not one of them. All I'm advocating is that people do their homework before making a purchase decision. If they find that I'm a lone wolf howling against Toshiba's moon, I don't see how it can do anything but help Toshiba sell cameras.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote