Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Toshiba

Old Jul 26, 2004, 1:14 PM   #1

Maybe a stupid question, but is it possible to do that? A lot of manufacturer use same component for different prducts with differents firwmare ... this happes for example for dvd-rewriters ([email protected], liteon [email protected]). In some cases is necessary to make changes to firmware to allow device to accept it... now my question... Has anyone tried flashing M500 with clean M700? I have M500 but I fear I may break my camera... if this would not work... maybe firmware need to be changed... someone who have the know how could try to do reverse engiening on m500-700 firmware and try...
CavalloPazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2004, 2:43 PM   #2

In addition, NU Tech dvd writer DDW 081 becomes DDW 082 by upgrading firmware, I did it a few days ago...
MrAmator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 4:03 AM   #3

you're saying that the m500 and m700 are exactly the same, except for their firmware?

interesting theory...so you believe that if you were to somehow flash the m500 with the firmware for an m700, your m500 would act like an m700, and be able to take 3.2MP pics instead of only 2.0MP?

im not sure if this is possible, it seems like such a simple solution, perhaps TOO simple...anyone else have thoughts on this?
Redman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 8:19 AM   #4

Quote:

you're saying that the m500 and m700 are exactly the same, except for their firmware?
No, I say it could be that toshiba used the same ccd... sometimes is less expensve having one line of production and then block some feature in some product... but maybe two cameras simply use different ccds and so there's no way to do this upgrade... only way to know is to open a m500 and a m700 and just compare their ccd sensor...

Quote:

interesting theory...so you believe that if you were to somehow flash the m500 with the firmware for an m700, your m500 would act like an m700, and be able to take 3.2MP pics instead of only 2.0MP?

If two cameras have same ccd, I think it would be possible to flash one camera with firmware written for the other one...

A problem that may exist is that firmwares usually have some kind of signiture inside where it's written for which model they havebeen written... this to prevent flashing a camera with not compatible firmware and damage it. So maybe owners of m500 may need a modified version of m700 firmware to allow 3.2 mpixel resolution...

CavalloPazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2004, 7:03 AM   #5

In the technical index card of toshiba, m500 and m700 have the same sensor.
To my opinion, you can try without risks of putting the program of m700. If it does not work, you can always put back(hand) the program of m500.
If ever, he(it) refuses the program, rename this one " camera.bin "

Personally, I transformed the " premier dc3a30 " it m700, by rename the program " camera.bin "
gasgas44 is offline   Reply With Quote